colrcodes in panel box

Old 09-24-07, 02:34 AM
colrcodes in panel box

I am working on a box for controlling 3 motors witch shall be used in USA.
(3 phase 480V.)

May I use all 480 V cabels in black, all 24V in light blue and green/yellow for grounding? without interfering with any code?

All wires are awg 12 or smaller.
(Theese colors do I have)

Each cable may be numbered in each end.

If that is OK it may be universal for Europe/USA

dsk

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-07, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A) There is nothing "universal" between the USA and Europe a far as electrical is concerned. Most everything is different.

B)And MOST important......If you are uncertain about even something as trivial as conductor color, you SHOULD NOT be doing this work.
Three phase, especially 277/480, is NO PLACE for anyone not VERY familiar with it.

**I re-read your post. This is a control box? Do you not have plans and specs you are following???**

Last edited by Speedy Petey; 09-24-07 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Add something
Old 09-24-07, 04:37 AM
I am just asked to make a box for turning on /off 3 motors including thermal overcurrent protection for those motors.

For use in Europe this is no problem, now I have to learn everything about US systems, color codes AWG no's etc.

dsk

Old 09-24-07, 06:50 AM
do the service tech a favor

and label the line wires. L1, L2, L3; T1, T2, T3. All black is not a problem, except when you need to change the contactor or overload relay. Having the wires the same color will lead to unexpected motor reversal after repair.

Old 09-26-07, 06:22 AM
I'm sure this will work fine.

I will probably go to San Francisco my selves with the machine, it will be plugged in to an outlet of 3x480V on a construction site. may ay rely on this outlet is protected by an GFCI, or does not NEC or other codes require this?

If not I have to buy a rather expencive gfci, but I belive my life is worth it.

dsk

Old 09-26-07, 09:08 PM
What ever works?

Originally Posted by d_s_k View Post
I'm sure this will work fine.

I will probably go to San Francisco my selves with the machine, it will be plugged in to an outlet of 3x480V on a construction site. may ay rely on this outlet is protected by an GFCI, or does not NEC or other codes require this?

If not I have to buy a rather expencive gfci, but I belive my life is worth it.

dsk

While your there, You may ask the nice folks of the

-IBEW local 617- To help you out.
They may protect some people (and you).

Because, If you need that "expencive" equipment.
This leads me to beleive your not at all concerned about safety. Only saving money.

This bothers me.

And should some others!!!!

All for the buck!!!! Bad bussiness!!!

Old 09-27-07, 12:33 AM
Safety is a major consern, but tripping 2 g.f.c.i's may just cause stressed operators, my selves included, and this may be a safety risk itselves.

Of cource, I dont like to spend money for no reason.

I have just received information, I do not have to put in a G.F.C.I.
this covered on the supply side.

dsk

Old 09-27-07, 02:46 PM
This leads me to beleive your not at all concerned about safety. Only saving money.--

D_S_K, I should have worded this better, you personaly was not my intent.

Noticing your local if this is for a trade show or something else, I thought that the good USA trained pros could be bennificial to you.

Money that goes without saying.... Thats business

Old 09-30-07, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee View Post
This leads me to beleive your not at all concerned about safety. Only saving money.--

D_S_K, I should have worded this better, you personaly was not my intent.

Noticing your local if this is for a trade show or something else, I thought that the good USA trained pros could be bennificial to you.

Money that goes without saying.... Thats business
I have 2 major problems here:
1:My english vocabulary is not good.
2: I am familar with european systems, but my knowledge to the north american systems are jus caused by my general curiosity.

The company I work for are going to send som special hydraulic tools to a construction site in San Francisco.
The electric pumps should be equipped with switches and protective gear.

I have got an Ida of making this in a way it will be easy to understand for a common local electrician, and other whom will be involved.
I do know white is color for Neutral there, and phase here, this may cause danger, using all fphasewires black, and well labeled shold eliminate this. Green/yellow should be commonly known as equal to your green ground. Blue is mainly used for Neutral here, and may be used for the 24V signal lamps, relays etc. We have been used to use red locally, this should probably be not be used there.

Here, all outlets for outdor use shall by code be protected by g.f.c.i. I do not know about this in NEC.

I do know earlier machines has been sendt, just wired as for european system, this has caused no trouble.

My idea is simple. If our customers get products who is easier to understand for the end user, and easy to use without reading any manuals. We will be able to sell more, and at this stage the real profit comes. (At this stage I feel this as fair.)

dsk

Old 10-01-07, 03:01 AM
1:My english vocabulary is not good. #

Me aswell, and I live here.

"Here, all outlets for outdor use shall by code be protected by g.f.c.i. I do not know about this in NEC."#

Here aswell, all construction recepticales.

Literiture is very important, clear presice labels and instruction and we get by.

Most pros have seen a fair amount of Europeon equipment so you should be ok.