Wiring a 3 wire motion sensor to a light

Old 09-24-07, 07:49 AM
Wiring a 3 wire motion sensor to a light

Hi all - I have a scenario where I would like to wire a motion sensor separately from the light itself, in order to turn the light on before walking around the corner for example... basically, I would like to enable a non-motion halogen light to become motion sensed... if that makes sense?

I purchased a replacement motion sensor head and have mounted it on a 1/2" box plate using the threaded connector, this is similar to buying a 1 head spotlight and doing the mounting yourself... never-the-less, this sensor has 3 wires coming out of it - black, white, red...

I have power coming out of the house and into the first box (motion sensor) and from this box have run another 14/2 wire up to the light and have wired the light black-to-black and white-to-white, and of course grounded it...

My issue is how to connect the motion, since this is a replacement head, is this possible? I can't see why not with a little creativity here...

Just to be clear this is what the first junction box looks like:

from house (power) - white/black
from light - white/black
motion sensor - white/black/red

I've omitted the copper grounds as they are assumed to be connected...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

ps. the instructions are specific to replacing a defective head on an existing motion, I'm using this head as way to control a light which did not previously have a motion sensor...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-07, 08:02 AM
The black wire is the input to the sensor, the red wire is the switched output. The white wire, of course, is the neutral.

Old 09-24-07, 08:12 AM
From the house to the sensor: black to black, white to white.
From the sensor to the light: white to white, red on sensor to black on light.

Old 09-24-07, 11:51 AM
Hi everyone, connected as described and it's working perfectly...

THANK-YOU!

As with any electrical DIY job, it's always better to have confirmation from the pros so thank you all for your input with this.