switch on plug

Old 09-25-07, 01:30 PM
switch on plug

i have an existing wall plug. a microwave is plugged in it. i want to install a plug w/ a switch so i can shut of the m/w when not in use. i've looked at 2 switches, 1 has 4 screws the other has 5 screws, i cant make heads or tales of either instructions. am i on the right track, any info will be appreacated,. thanks. reid37

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-07, 01:46 PM
Well, you can probably use the switch and receptacle combination device. The directions tell you how to do the installation. What part of the directions do you not understand? What color are the screw terminals, and on what part of the device are they located?

Old 09-25-07, 01:58 PM
Here's how you would connect a typical five-screw switch/receptacle combo, where you want the switch to control the receptacle.

(1) Connect the grounding wire to the green screw.
(2) Connect the white wire (neutral) to the silver screw on the wide-slot side of the receptacle half.
(3) Connect the black wire (hot) to the same side of the device, but the switch half, as you connected the white wire.
(4) Connect nothing to the two brass screws on the side of the device with the narrow slot on the receptacle. If you look closely, you'll see that these two screws are electrically connected to each other already by a brass tab.

When you turn the switch on, the switch transfers voltage from the side with the wires to the side with the tab, which powers the receptacle.

If there are more than one black and white wires in the box, you'll need to use wire nuts and pigtails (short sections of wire) to connect all the white wires to one screw, and all the black wires to the other screw.

The four-screw device may be the same as the five-screw device, but they didn't bother with two screws and a tab on the narrow-slot side.

Old 09-26-07, 01:41 AM
thank you john, i had looked at the 5 screw & read the instructions, but couldn't figure out what was being said. i will try this today & feed back results. thanks

Old 09-26-07, 04:31 AM
reid37,

Try drawing a picture on paper. That may help you. Remember that the hot wire is the one that gets switched.

Old 09-29-07, 03:13 PM
thanks to both of you. well i pulled the outlet out of the wall, discovered that it was in the middle of a run. ok, what to do, connect the blacks connect the whites & pigtail to the combo, or ?. got to thinking with all the wire nuts & the pigtail, there wont be room for the combo. so went looking for a single surge plug w/ switch, made sense to me, ended up at w/m, nothing in the surge isle, i thought i had stumbled onto a great idea, make a working model & patten it, couldn't wait to get home. anyway, moved down the isle 3/4', something caught my eye, yup, "handy switch" plug it into your outlet, plug your applaince into it & when not using app flip the switch to off. works so far, thanks again, reid.