Eave Outlet for Deicing Plug

Old 09-26-07, 07:51 AM
Eave Outlet for Deicing Plug

I would like to put an Outside receptacle in the eave soffit for a deicing cable. I can tap off a GFCI protected plug in the garage and I will add a switch with a indicator light. Do I use a plastic or metal box for the receptacle?
Thank You,
Carlos

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-07, 07:57 AM
Assuming your box is not surface mounted, it can be plastic or metal.

However, you want a new dedicated circuit for this purpose. Unless the unit is small and uses limited power, it will need a dedicated circuit.

Old 09-26-07, 08:18 AM
In many homes built 10 or more years ago, the bathroom receptacles are on the same circuit as the garage GFCI. Check to see if this is the case for you. The easiest way to check is to press the "test" button on the GFCI and test to see if the bathroom receptacles still have power. If so, DO NOT tap off this for your new receptacle.

In any case, find out what all is on this circuit before you tap into it. The circuit could cover stuff all around your house, so do not limit your search to the outlets in the vicinity.

Old 09-26-07, 08:36 AM
Thanks, the house is 3 years old and the ckt I'll tap into has only the outside front and back porch, garage and utility room plugs on it. The Deicing cable is 100' long and it requires 4.2 amps. Do you still think it needs a separate circuit?

Old 09-26-07, 08:57 AM
4.2 amps would not require a separate circuit. However, what else will you be doing at the same time? What do you run in your utility room? What do you run in your garage? What do you run outside your house?

Will you try to run an electric snow thrower when running the de-icing cable? Will you be in your garage trying to run a space heater? Power tools?