I'm Having Trouble With Gfi Plugs

Old 09-26-07, 01:55 PM
I'm Having Trouble With Gfi Plugs

Could someone help me solve a problem? I have two 20 amp faceless GFI's in the same box in my bathroom. It seems that these are only affecting the recessed lights and a light in my shower. The plugs and vanity lights and fans are working fine. I am not able to reset these GFI's. I replaced them today with two receptacle GFI's and was not able to get any power to the plugs but a green indicator light on one of the plugs was lit. I would appreciate any advice.

JasonA

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-07, 01:59 PM
Did you try disconnecting the loads before resetting them?

If they won't reset with a load, but reset fine without the load then the problem is the load.

Is this new? Did these work before?

Tell us the entire story.

Old 09-26-07, 02:04 PM
Trouble with GFI

I have not tried resetting them with the loads disconnected. They worked fine uptill now. House was built in 2003, so they are new and installed by a professional electrician. This is my first time on here so be patient if I'm not giving all the info. right away.

JasonA

Old 09-26-07, 02:48 PM
JasonA,

That's fine. It's very hard for us to diagnose problems unless we have the entire story. If you were just installing these as new, then the range of possible problems is much larger than if they used to work and you didn;t do anything to make them NOT work.

Faceless GFCIs were used for a reason. The most likely reason is that the circuit is shared among a variety of locations and/or it is a 15 amp circuit. Either of these reason would mean that receptacles (even GFCI receptacles) cannot be on the circuit inside a bathroom.

Try resetting either the GFCI receptacles or the faceless GFCIs (or both) with the load disconnected. If they reset, then the problem is the load. There may very well be a ground fault. This could be caused by a variety of reasons, but let's wait till we know for sure.

If the GFCIs won't reset and you do have them wired properly and you do have power (use a two wire tester to verify power) then the problem is that the GFCIs are bad. It's unlikely that two faceless GFCIs would die at the same time and that two new GFCI receptacles would be bad, so I don;t think this will be the case.

A more likely scenario is that the power feed is bad. This could be a tripped circuit breaker or a problem at this junction box or at another junction box on the circuit.

Where else does this same circuit serve, and have you verified that all breakers are on (by turning them OFF and then on)?

Old 09-26-07, 04:05 PM
Bob

Thank you very much for your help. I have had the breakers off several times. Every outlet and switch is working in all my rooms upstairs and in the bathroom as well except the can lights which are on a reostat and the light above my shower. Ive tested each plug with a circuit tester and they all are fine as well. The new receptacle GFI's do not show a current when tested. The only thing showing is a grren light on one of the GFI's but not the other.

Jason

Old 09-26-07, 04:22 PM
Are you sure you have not hooked up anything backwards? and are you putting them under the screw or stabbing them in the back? If you are stabbing make sure you have the correct amount of wire stripped (there is a gauge on the back side of the plug).

Old 09-26-07, 04:31 PM
You need to check the wires feeding the receptacles (or faceless GFCIs), not the receptacles themselves. A GFCI receptacle will not show power unless it is reset. It cannot be reset if it detects a ground fault. It also cannot be reset if there is no power to it, or the power is connected backwards.

Use your two wire tester and check for power between the hot wire (the black one) and the neutral wire (the white one). Also check for power between the hot wire and the ground wire. And just to complete the test, check for power between the neutral wire and the ground wire.

Old 09-26-07, 07:00 PM
Trouble with gfis

Thanks for the tips. Iwill try that this weekend when I get time to look at them again. Thanks again for your help.

Jason

Old 09-26-07, 08:26 PM
Two faceless 20-amp GFCI in a bathroom makes me think of a jetted tub. Got one?

Old 09-27-07, 09:38 AM
TROUBLE WITH gfi

John,

I do not have a jetted tub, but I'm not sure if the electrician knew that when he installed the GFI's. He may have put those in just in case I was going to have one.

JasonA