No ground screw in fixture box

Old 09-27-07, 10:26 AM
No ground screw in fixture box

I am replacing an old florescent kitchen ceiling light in a 1970 high-rise. The other ceiling fixtures I have replaced have had ground screws on mounting plates in the fixture boxes. The kitchen's metal fixture box does not have a mounting plate, thus no grounding screw, only two tabs with the holes for the screws for attaching the new fixture. The old florescent was attached to a 3/4" pipe with thread coming through the box. Also note that the existing box is securely embedded in the cement, which is coated w/ asbestos containing popcorn ceiling. I didn't see any similar situations in previous posts.

What to do about grounding the fixture?

Thanks for any guidance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-07, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
If you are renting the apartment you should not be doing any electrical work. Civil and criminal liability is too great. If the NY in yor name means New York City then there are perhaps also requirements not found in the National Electric code.

Old 09-27-07, 11:05 AM
I own. And yes, I'm in Manhattan. I only do the "simple" electrical like replacing fixtures, outlets, and wiring my new disposal, DW, etc. after the electrician added the extra lines.

After further investigation, there appear to be some screw threads poking down from the top of the box (about 4 inches up into the ceiling), but I don't see any green nuts, plus they don't seem in the right place. Just about the whole box is covered with over-spray from the popcorn ceiling -- and since it does contain asbestos, I haven't exactly dived in to chip away the stuff. But the bar with the grounding screw that I usually see going across the bottom of a fixture box is not there. Can I add a bar? Jerryrig something? Can it be left with no ground?

Old 09-27-07, 01:54 PM
In the back of the box there should be a threaded hole. You can buy green threaded screws at the home stores that will fit these. You can even buy ones with ground wires attached.