Thoughts/ideas on permanently wiring outside fountain

Old 09-27-07, 01:53 PM
Thoughts/ideas on permanently wiring outside fountain

As part of our outdoor renovation, we bought a large roughly 5' x 6' fountain..

Its being run by a medium size pond pump (300gph)...

The setup is as follows currently:

heavy duty extreme temp extension cord run through 2" PVC that goes underneath my patio, and exits into a small garden area... i dug a shallow trench, and buried the cord for now.. lol..

anyhoo, that extension cord then plugs into a 3 way splitter w/ GFCI protection (the circuit the ext. cord is plugged into is GFCI as well)..

Plugged into the GFCI splitter is the pond pump, and a 60W transformer running lights inside the foutain...

I would really like to make this a more permanent install.

Any suggestions? The outside of the house is brick... so there's no real way to run new wire into the house, and I dont want to dig a trench in my new yard..

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-07, 01:56 PM
If you don't want to dig the trench, then pay someone else to do it. You can't safely continue to use the extension cord, and the only real solution is permanent wiring.

You need to do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it.

Old 09-27-07, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
If you don't want to dig the trench, then pay someone else to do it. You can't safely continue to use the extension cord, and the only real solution is permanent wiring.

You need to do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it.
Obviously I COULD dig a trench, but I dont wish to. Not in my brand new yard

Can I not just tap into the current outlet and run UF cable through the pvc that goes under my patio, then bury the cable down around the fountain, and then run a new outlet by the fountain?

Could I maybe just take out the current outlet, mount a junction box with an outlet and run the wire down the PVC?

Old 09-27-07, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Outdoor fountains are covered under parts I and V of article 680 of the NEC which are some of the sections that cover pools and spas. As such, the rules are somewhat more strict than those for general-purpose wiring, but not as strict as for a pool.

Some of the highlights:

* PVC conduit or UF-B cable feeding the fountain must be buried at least 18" deep.

* The feeder must have GFCI protection either in the form of a GFCI breaker or GFCI receptacle.

* Receptacles must be protected by weatherproof boxes and in-use covers.

* The flexible cord which feeds the pump may be no longer than 10' and must be hard service type "W".

* If the fountain has any metal components, they need to be bonded.

I would really like to make this a more permanent install.
Code requires permanent wiring for fountains.

Any suggestions? The outside of the house is brick... so there's no real way to run new wire into the house
There's always a way; a diamond hole-saw can drill through brick. You probably only would need 1/2" conduit which you can probably get in by chipping out some mortar and part of the corner of a brick.

I dont want to dig a trench in my new yard..
An 18" deep trench is required for a legal installation.

Could I maybe just take out the current outlet, mount a junction box with an outlet and run the wire down the PVC?
You may extend an existing circuit if the pump and lights are less than 10A for a 20A circuit or 7.5A for a 15A circuit, and the existing circuit is not used for other significant loads.

Old 09-27-07, 03:18 PM
Looking up specs,

Looks like the lights require .18A (low voltage lighting), and the pump requires .8A.... That's quite safely under your 7.5A rating on a 15A circuit..

The other outlets in that circuit are just two bathroom outlets. Use for general stuff like charging a beard trimmer, toothbrushes, using hairdryer, etc..

Would an 18" trench need to be dug even going under a concrete patio?

Old 09-27-07, 03:40 PM
Sorry to continue to rain on your parade, but you cannot put this stuff on a circuit serving bathroom receptacles, even if it is already on such a circuit. When making significant modifications to a circuit, you are required to bring it up to current code, and this would not meet current code.

Old 09-27-07, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
Sorry to continue to rain on your parade, but you cannot put this stuff on a circuit serving bathroom receptacles, even if it is already on such a circuit. When making significant modifications to a circuit, you are required to bring it up to current code, and this would not meet current code.
hm..

what if i fished a new wire from the service panel, into the same box, and ran it out to the pond, on it's own dedicated circuit?

Old 09-27-07, 05:17 PM
It is the best to run the new circuit for outdoor repectale and fondation repctales as what other guys been describing to you.

please do listen this part as what we tell ya with this because with fondation that something you dont want anyone get hurt or anything so please follow the driections to the letter and the codes are pretty strict on this part.

once you run the new circuit to the outdoor repectale you have to disconnected the old circuit where that ran to bathroom [ you will have to do the same thing in bathroom side as well remove and capped or tape it off and make some kind note of it saying abaoned cable or cut the wire off and push it back. make sure you do the right wire so you dont cut off the wrong one ]

and make sure you have a gfci breaker or GFCI repectale there and at near the foundation use the in use bubble cover and what other guys gave ya the details instuction this is a clear cut way to meet the code

Merci , Marc

Old 09-28-07, 06:03 AM
Why would you run a new circuit and bring it to this junction box, just to connect the new circuit? Run the new circuit right to where you need it, keeping at as short as practical.

Old 09-28-07, 07:14 AM
Why would you run a new circuit and bring it to this junction box, just to connect the new circuit? Run the new circuit right to where you need it, keeping at as short as practical.
Because there's already an outlet in tis spot, and a hole on the outside..

Old 09-28-07, 07:26 AM
So what. You don't need a receptacle on the outside of your house for the fountain. You only need power at the end of the run.

Old 09-28-07, 08:43 AM
So what. You don't need a receptacle on the outside of your house for the fountain. You only need power at the end of the run.
There's already a receptacle there, and I wish to keep it in case we need to plug in anything there. It's the only receptacle on the back of the house.

Old 09-28-07, 08:57 AM
Leave the receptacle on the back of the house alone.

Run a new circuit going as direct as possible to the fountain.