Strange GFCI issue

Old 09-28-07, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strange GFCI issue

Hey folks! I bought a used pretzel warmer/merchandiser that requires 12 amps, 1440 watts, 120 volt. In my store I have a 20 amp GFCI conveniently right below it, which was put there when the store was first built. When I plug the warmer in and turn it on, the GFCI trips immediately. I first thought there was a short in the warmer but when I plugged it into a non GFCI outlet it worked like a charm. I know the GFCI isn't faulty either because I plugged other things into it and it works fine and has always worked in the past as well. In fact, any GFCI that I plug the unit into at my store, it immediately trips. I can't change the outlet to non GFCI because code doesn't permit (too close to water). Any idea why it might be tripping? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-07, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's tripping because of a ground fault.

Contact the manufacturer of the unit and/or a service facility and have it serviced by a qualified technician.

It may be as simple as the ground and the neutral wire accidentally touching each other in plug and/or in the unit, or it could be a bad part that is causing the problem.