Switch Center Options

Old 10-01-07, 12:17 PM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Switch Center Options

Im planning to connect some equipment for my home aquarium to a 15-amp American DJ 100 Powercenter (essentially a big powerstrip used by DJs). Most of the equipment will be connected directly as the powercenter has outlets in the back. The center has 8 lighted on/off toggle switches to turn the equipment on and off.

But some other pieces will be farther way - up to 25 feet or so. I've learned on here not to use extension cords. So, my two options are:

Option a)
1) Plug the equipment into a newly installed outlet box (about 25' away)
2) Run 14-2 NM wire to the American DJ power center
3) Connect a male plug to the end of the 14-2 run
4) Plug it directly into the back of the power center

Option 2)
1) same as in steps 1 & 2 above
2) run the 14-2 directly into a regular light switch & box and power it there instead of the American DJ.

- whats wrong with option 1 - is it safe?
- any other ideas?

Old 10-01-07, 12:28 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NM cable may not be used as an extension cord.

If you absolutely MUST power the devices located 25 feet away from this same power center then your only options are to use a heavy duty extension cord or some sort of remote controlled switch.

Old 10-01-07, 12:29 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Option a and option 2? Are you a Car Talk fan?

Option a is clearly out. You cannot put a plug on NM.

I don't understand option 2 very well. I'm not sure what it means when you say "same as in steps 1 & 2 above." What would step 2 mean in option 2?

I'm not sure what services the powercenter provides. Does all power need to go through it to meet your needs?

If the answer to the above is "no", then you could just install a wall switch near the powercenter which operates a receptacle 25 feet away near where you need the power. This would be my preferred solution.

Old 10-01-07, 01:45 PM
B
As always, great feedback! I think I wouldve started multiple housefires if it wasnt for this forum!

racraft:

"NM cable may not be used as an extension cord."

- Ok, so thats out. But out of curiosity - why?

"some sort of remote controlled switch."

- you mean like x10 controlled?

John Nelson

- yes, Car Talk fan but mine was just a typo!

"I don't understand option 2 very well."

- option 2 is exactly what you explained as your preferred solution. Good, so I know I can go that route.

"I'm not sure what services the powercenter provides. Does all power need to go through it to meet your needs?"

- Essentially this is for ease. Right now I have devices plugged into power strips or outlets. But many of them I need to power on and off occasionally (for cleaning). So, the switch box thing is just for that - like a big powerstrip. Also a very clean (and nifty) way of connecting all of my equipment. I have about 12-15 devices that I need to run. I purchased two of these American DJ 100s - here's a link to one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-DJ-PC-1...ayphotohosting

So, most of my devices will be close enough by to plug in. A few others wont. Sounds like I'll go with option B/2.

Old 10-01-07, 01:59 PM
R
NM cable is not meant to be used flexible. It is not rated for re-use. It is meant to be installed and left alone. While it certainly can be curved and installed so that it bends into walls, ceilings, etc., it will not hold up to the repeated bending and usage that an extension cord implies. Further, NM must be protected where used. This alone would prohibit running it across a floor, etc.

You can certainly buy heavy duty extension cords. If your load is light enough and the cord won't get walked upon and won't get run where it might get damaged, then you can use that option.

I do not know what types of remote switches are available. I am thinking that there might be something that you could plug into the power center and either manually turn on and it would turn on the remote plug or that would automatically turn on the remote plug when it received power.

Old 10-01-07, 02:08 PM
B
Ah, thanks. I understand.

I was planning on running and installing the NM wire from the electrical box just as I would if I were connecting the other end to a switch box. would run behind the walls, up and out of the way, as per code. I guess it would have to be exposed for a few feet to reach the power center where I would put on the male plug. So, those few feet, while they wouldnt be bent or moved, would be exposed.

Old 10-02-07, 10:57 AM
C
Yes.

One thing you could do is use power inlets on the wall to the other outlets, and short power interconnect cords.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: