SubPanel

Old 10-01-07, 05:39 PM
SubPanel

Ok I am hoping to get some insight from the professionals. I have a 100 amp service to running to my house. My panel is a gould pushmatic that is completely filled. I plan on running a subpanel to add some room. Now I know the first question that you are gonna ask is, how much is being used in the house. I am not using much, I have natural gas that runs the dryer, stove, hotwater heater, etc...I have doone the spreadsheet calc and came up with 55amps being used. At any rate as you know that with todays standards many things are run on its own circuit especially with my kitchen using 6 circuits, so as you can see my panel is full. My plan though is to add a subpanel. I was thinking of getting a 60 amp breaker and feeding a subpanel. I saw they have a 60 amp panel available but do I have to use a 60 amp subpanel or less or can I feed another 100 amp panel with a 60 amp breaker? As far as what I will have on my subpanel. I plan on having my air conditioner (30 amps) and my three basement heaters which are each 20 amps. Perhaps down the line I might need another 20 amp line but I know that the air conditioner, the heaters, and everything wont be running all at the same time. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-07, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, you can get a 100A panel and feed it with a 60A breaker. This will give you more room to expand in the future (within the 60A feeder limits of course).

Old 10-01-07, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the fast response..And that won't be an issue considering my main feed is 100 amp?

Old 10-01-07, 06:45 PM
So, am I correct in that your issue is a space issue on your panel? not enough room for more breakers? Can you just put in smaller, twin-type breakers? Im a novice, but my basement contract did just that - took the space from 1regular-sized breaker and added two smaller breakers (of the same amperage).

Old 10-01-07, 08:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by brianhunter01 View Post
Thanks for the fast response..And that won't be an issue considering my main feed is 100 amp?
Not as long as your overall load calculation does not exceed 100A. You could theoretically have panel to subpanel to subpanel to subpanel, etc as long as you did not exceed 100A total.

Originally Posted by bheron
Can you just put in smaller, twin-type breakers?
Many types of panels will accept tandem (skinny, half, thin, twin, etc) breakers, but Pushmatic does not have that type of breaker so that is not a solution for this poster.

Old 10-01-07, 08:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Brian,

Remember that the subpanel is going to require a disconnect in the main panel which will take up 2 spots. You may have to do what bheron discussed by installing mini's, if your panel supports them, (correct term is eluding me... ) so you have enough room. Do that or move/extend two old circuits into your subpanel.

Old 10-01-07, 08:42 PM
The pushmatic breaker they did make the twinner type but really i dont think you will find this type anymore it been out of production for almost 30 years IIRC if the fact is correct.

normally i just get new breaker box installed by the way the 100 amp pushmatic breaker will cost just much as the modern breaker box is [ the 100 amp pushmatic breaker is getting more rarer nowdays ]

Merci , Marc

Old 10-02-07, 06:19 AM
As far as the box allowing duplex or tandem breakers, it does but you can only use two of them which I already have done. I also looked at adding another 100 amp panel but all the panels have the same amount of spaces that mine does 20 so that would not make a difference. I see the 60 amp breakers are avail on ebay at a good price. I will take my 30 amp air conditioner breaker on the main and replace it with the 60 amp breaker to feed the new subpanel. I will then move the 30 amp air conditioner over to subpanel. I spoke to an electrician who stated I should just replace the box as you suggested (half the cost of an upgrade he said I didn't need) My question though is do they make 100 amp panels that I can put about 30 breakers in it, or is the subpanel the right approach?

Old 10-02-07, 06:25 AM
Buy a 200 amp panel that has 40 spaces. Install a 100 amp main breaker in it.

Old 10-02-07, 08:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
The pushmatic breaker they did make the twinner type but really i dont think you will find this type anymore it been out of production for almost 30 years IIRC if the fact is correct.
I learn something new everyday! I've never seen a pushmatic twin breaker, so I guess I assumed they never made them.