How to install ceiling fan on vaulted ceiling?

Old 10-03-07, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to install ceiling fan on vaulted ceiling?

Hi, I'm in the process of purchasing a house with vaulted ceilings in the 2nd-floor bedrooms. One of the bedrooms has no ceiling fixture. I'm just wondering what is involved with wiring a new ceiling fan/light and having the existing switch control the fan/light combo. The existing switch of course controls an outlet. I'd like to have the switch disconnected from the outlet and control the fan.

I may have an electrician do this, but I'd like an idea of the scope of work. I'm most worried about having to rip out drywall to run the power from the wall up the vaulted ceiling. Thanks for any insight!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-07, 08:56 AM
No Biggie

It's not a big problem.

You should be able to fish the wire from the fan box location on top of the drywall ceiling down to the wall and then from the top of the wall to the recepticle box.

Some minor access holes will need to be cut at the juncture of the ceiling and wall so the wire can be brought through the top plate.

Major issue is getting the ceiling fan box properly supported to hold the weight of the fan and down rod but with all or the retrofit kits out there this is easily overcome.

Old 10-03-07, 09:42 AM
If you have access from above (doubtful with a vaulted ceiling) you can work from above and not have to make any extra holes in the ceiling. Otherwise, you will only be able to fish the wire through the ceiling to the wall if the joists go the proper direction.

As for the cable, I suggest that you fish it to the switch and install a duplex switch (or enlarge the box and install two switches). This way you can switch the fan and light separately. You can, however, fish it to the switched receptacle and only switch the light, with the fan always powered (or switch the fan with the light). Either way, you need to make changes at the receptacle so that it is not switched.

I suggest that you start this project by reading. There are lots of questions you need to be asking and lots of things to learn. Reading a good book or two on home wiring will answer them.