Extend both sides of Multiwire Circuit?

Old 10-05-07, 11:38 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extend both sides of Multiwire Circuit?

Diagrams of basic multi-wire circuits show circuits alternating, in a "linear" way, with 3-wire cable to 3-wire cable and extending one circuit with 2-wire cable. What if the circuits met a fork in the road at the first box, and both extended? 3wire splits to 2wire and 2wire.

For example (each device is in a separate electrical box):

"Linear" Case 1: Multi-wire circuit with 12-3 to device1(Red Ckt), 12-3 to device2(Black Ckt), 12-2 to device3(Red Ckt).

"Fork" Case 2: Multi-wire circuit with 12-3 to device1(Red Ckt) and send the circuits off in different directions from this box: 12-2 to device 2(Black Ckt), 12-2 to device3(Red Ckt).

Is Case 2 OK? I can't find a diagram that shows this in my quite limited supply of electrical books. Seems straightforward to me. Just more neutral and ground wires to splice in the first box.

Old 10-05-07, 11:52 AM
R
What you describe is fine. This would be a good solution for wiring two kitchen counter top circuits, where each set of receptacles needed to be GFCI protected. You could make the first receptacle on each fork a GFCI receptacle and continue each fork on the LOAD side of that receptacle.

Old 10-05-07, 12:17 PM
R
Thanks again for the reassurance. Much appreciated. Usually I work through things by myself via trial(s) and success. This alternate method of planning for first-time perfection with you guys is fun too.

Old 10-05-07, 01:26 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Trial and error is not a good method when it comes to electricity. It could get you killed. Or it could work and still not be safe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: