baseboard heat

Old 10-04-07, 06:45 PM
baseboard heat

Just joined newbe question!!!
Need some heat so here is what I am thinking, please correct me if wrong.
From main breaker panel - 30amp double pole breaker 10-2 cable to thermostat-from thermostat 10-2 cable to junction box. From this junction box I want to control 4 baseboard heaters by running 12-2 cables to each heater.
The heaters will be two 1500w & two 1000w .
Not a young guy here so if someone could also recommend a good one of those fancy digital thermostats that would control all of these that would be great as well.
Looking forward to responses
John

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-07, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
5000 @240v

Welcome.

=20.83 A- Call it 21 Amps.

You can run 10/2 on a 2 pole 30Amp breaker.
All wireing on this ckt must be 10 gage.

Your plan sounds OK. Any cable must be sized for the breaker (ocpd- Over current protection device).

I would bypass the J-Box, and just go heat to heat.
Unless it is not possible,or if you save on wire.

Last edited by lectriclee; 10-04-07 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Re-Read.
Old 10-04-07, 08:04 PM
I agree, no junction box. If you insist on a junction box, it must remain permanently accessible.

The only programmable thermostats I have seen for electric heat max out at 20 amps.

Old 10-04-07, 08:20 PM
You have 5,000 watts of heaters. As Lectriclee states, that is 21 amperes. National Electric Code states that any fixed heating must have a branch circuit designed for 125% of the connected load which in your case means that your branch circuit must be designed for 26 amperes, or in real life it must be a 30 ampere circuit and all the wiring must be #10.

I doubt that you will be able to find a programmable thermostat with a 30 ampere rating so it will probably be necessary to make two 15 or 20 ampere circuits. The alternative would be to use a low-voltage thermostat and power relays for the heaters.

Old 10-04-07, 09:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question

We all forgot to ask.... What and how many rooms are you heating? 5000 Watts is a fair amount of heat. if more than 1 area, you may want more than 1 control.

So please expand on your request. There may be a more cost effective solution.

Old 10-04-07, 10:01 PM
WOW that was fast..
thanks to you all for the sound advice. I kind of thought that the junction box was a bad idea and also downsizing from 10-2 to 12-2.
Anyway what I want to heat is a living room of about 250 sq ft and an ajoining hallway of about 150 sq ft.( 3 heaters.)
The fourth I was going to put in a small bedroom.
I am just looking for a good and easy solution to heat these areas.
Running cable to any point from the main panel is not a problem as I am renovating the whole house and lets face it ,,what is a few extra holes.
Maybe I should add that I am in Canada and the house is old.
What started this is I found a plug that my tester said had power but guess what it was all going to ground.
I started following the wires through the walls then the ceiling what a mess.
Somebody before me found chewed wiring and just taped them up and drywalled over it no marretts or even in a box.
The drywall and the floor joists had burn marks on them "scary".
The house had been empty for a while and the creatures had eaten the cables so I am slowly replacing it all. Not a small job .
But it is getting cool and I had better think heat.
Thanks again
John

Old 10-05-07, 05:24 AM
John,

Thanks for the additional information. I recommend a separate thermostat for the small bedroom, which I assume has it's own baseboard heater. That will lower the 5000 watts, and may allow you to get a programmable thermostat for the living room.