Extend both sides of Multiwire Circuit?

Old 10-05-07, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extend both sides of Multiwire Circuit?

Diagrams of basic multi-wire circuits show circuits alternating, in a "linear" way, with 3-wire cable to 3-wire cable and extending one circuit with 2-wire cable. What if the circuits met a fork in the road at the first box, and both extended? 3wire splits to 2wire and 2wire.

For example (each device is in a separate electrical box):

"Linear" Case 1: Multi-wire circuit with 12-3 to device1(Red Ckt), 12-3 to device2(Black Ckt), 12-2 to device3(Red Ckt).

"Fork" Case 2: Multi-wire circuit with 12-3 to device1(Red Ckt) and send the circuits off in different directions from this box: 12-2 to device 2(Black Ckt), 12-2 to device3(Red Ckt).

Is Case 2 OK? I can't find a diagram that shows this in my quite limited supply of electrical books. Seems straightforward to me. Just more neutral and ground wires to splice in the first box.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-07, 12:52 PM
What you describe is fine. This would be a good solution for wiring two kitchen counter top circuits, where each set of receptacles needed to be GFCI protected. You could make the first receptacle on each fork a GFCI receptacle and continue each fork on the LOAD side of that receptacle.

Old 10-05-07, 01:17 PM
Thanks again for the reassurance. Much appreciated. Usually I work through things by myself via trial(s) and success. This alternate method of planning for first-time perfection with you guys is fun too.

Old 10-05-07, 02:26 PM
Received 84 Votes on 77 Posts
Trial and error is not a good method when it comes to electricity. It could get you killed. Or it could work and still not be safe.