yellow reset button

Old 10-06-07, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yellow reset button

can anyone please tell me what the yellow reset button is for in my breaker box. is it the same thing as a gfci receptacle, thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-07, 04:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It is the AFCI for one of your bedrooms. It is called an Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter, and is supposed to eliminate fires emanating from sparks in your bedroom circuits. Alot of controversy on why they are required, and if they really do their job, but they are code, and will be used. If it trips more than once, you have a problem either with your wiring or with the breaker itself, and should be diagnosed by an electrician. Oh, yeah, it isn't a reset button, but a test trip button. You press it and it will trip off, requiring you to turn the breaker completly off and back on again.

Old 10-06-07, 05:46 AM
chandler: thank you for your speedy reply. The reason for my querry is we sold the house which was built in 1978 and the buyer wants gfci receptacles installed in various places. can i just pull the existing receptacle and install the gfci in the same box with difficult rating being what.

Old 10-06-07, 05:54 AM
A yellow button on a breaker is a GFI breaker.
Turn it off and see what receptacles go out. For a 1978 house it's probably the outside and bathrooms.

Why doesn't the buyer just do these UPGRADES after you sell?

Old 10-06-07, 06:04 AM
And how long have you owned this house? And you have no idea what this circuit breaker is, why it's there, or what to do on a monthly basis? Sad.

As the others have said, it is either a GFCI breaker or an AFCI breaker. Based on the age of the home I would guess GFCI.

Old 10-06-07, 06:17 AM
Received 114 Votes on 104 Posts
If it is a GFCI it should also have a test button on it. push the test button and see what goes dead.
You are not required by any code to install the GFCI for sale.

Old 10-06-07, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You are not required by any code to install the GFCI for sale.
Yeah, tell that to home inspectors.

Old 10-06-07, 08:53 AM
thank you all for your help. the gfci are at the request of the buyer, i am just trying to accomadate. i am a 22 year old woman and have a lot to learn yet. i bought this house three years ago on my own as with one other prior. this is my first encounter with this issue, sad huh. thanks again all

Old 10-06-07, 10:55 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'll have to agree with Joed. Home inspectors can only bring up issues that are current code items. They hold no authority on the sale of the house. It is up to the buyer to request items be upgraded or repaired with a contingency, and the seller to either accommodate them or use it as a bargaining chip. Maymay, back to your question, if the circuits they are requesting GFCI's to be installed aren't currently protected by GFCI breakers in the panel box, then, yes, you can install a GFCI on the FIRST receptacle in line and protect the downline receptacles with it. But in reality, let them do this, as it isn't a code issue, only a "want" item.