'power bar' for 240 volt outlet

Old 10-07-07, 12:39 AM
'power bar' for 240 volt outlet

Is there such a thing? I'm in a small apartment and I have just one 240 volt outlet, which is for the stove. I'd like to get a dryer in here, and I hardly use the stove, so ideally, I'd have them both connected to a power bar connected to the 240 volt outlet, and never, ever run them at the same time. Is there any way I can make it convenient to make the switch regularly?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-07, 03:43 AM
Originally Posted by eleaonr View Post
Is there such a thing? I'm in a small apartment and I have just one 240 volt outlet, which is for the stove. I'd like to get a dryer in here, and I hardly use the stove, so ideally, I'd have them both connected to a power bar connected to the 240 volt outlet, and never, ever run them at the same time. Is there any way I can make it convenient to make the switch regularly?

Thanks

one thing that you live in the apartment you should ask the landlord about this and you can not do any electrical work in the apartment this is against the law in most states.

The landlord will have to concat the electrician to wire the proper size wire for dryer.

the stove and dryer have diffrent amp capaitcy both are not the same size at all typically stove use 40 or larger breaker while common dryer useally are 30 amp size unless someone got industrail sized dryer then all bet is off.

Merci, Marc

Old 10-07-07, 05:54 AM
The answer to your question is no. 240 volt appliances need to be wired to meet their specific current requirements.

Speak to your landlord about hiring an electrician to install a dryer receptacle where you need it.

Old 10-08-07, 07:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
FYI, they do make 120v dryers. They are significantly smaller than their 240v counterparts, and still require a decent amount of power (10A), so you'll need to pick a low-usage circuit, and extension cords are a no-no. But it's a consideration if the electrician is a no-go.

Old 10-12-07, 08:12 AM
They also make all in one washer/dryers that run on 120 volts and need no venting (condensing dryer...). Cycle times are fairly long and the units are somewhat expensive, but they work well, are very water and energy efficient and would allow you to do laundry without any changes to your apartment. Without mentioning any brands, check at your local appliance store (hint: especially the local home improvement store that sponsors this list). You won't find these on display so if sales people don't know what you're talking about, private message me and I'll give you some more specific info.

Doug M.