Recessed lighting over shower

Old 10-07-07, 06:26 PM
Recessed lighting over shower

Planning some new lighting for the bathroom, Which will include 2 recessed cans above the shower stall.

Other than being covered fixtures( Bulbs not exposed to "SPLASH") , what else is involved to make this compliant.????

GFCI required?? Height requirements????

Thanx.....

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-07, 07:01 PM
Look at the requirements for the lights. They must be rated for a damp location. Typically this involves a special cover. The instructions will dictate if GFCI protection is required (it often is).

Old 10-07-07, 07:04 PM
When I had the shower replaced at my mountain cabin, I had a vent/light unit installed over the shower. Not only do I know have light, but I have ventilation.

Old 10-07-07, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Planning some new lighting for the bathroom, Which will include 2 recessed cans above the shower stall.

Other than being covered fixtures( Bulbs not exposed to "SPLASH") , what else is involved to make this compliant.????

GFCI required?? Height requirements????

Thanx.....
Recessed can means installed into the ceiling. Ceilings have insulation and the cans are rated as to whether they can or can not come in contact with insulation. Of course they are also rated as to what type of bulbs they can handle.

Old 10-07-07, 07:14 PM
"For recessed lighting in a shower, enclosed tub area, or even within a foot outside the shower, use only gasketed recessed lights with shower approved trims and housings. Note; a wet location approval refers to outside, and is not good enough for in showers."

http://www.lightingfacts.com/recessed.html

Old 10-07-07, 07:54 PM
"For recessed lighting in a shower, enclosed tub area, or even within a foot outside the shower, use only gasketed recessed lights with shower approved trims and housings.

This would be referring to what I have seen as "SHOWER TRIMS"? Or are the cans special also?

Old 10-07-07, 08:01 PM
It is not clear if the cans are different. Apparently, the special gaskets and trims keep the moisture and humidity out of the fixtures.

Old 10-07-07, 08:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
DAMP location Trim

Typicaly the recessed can is the same as others (IC or not).
The trim is what will make it approved,Make special not of max bulb size, these trims differ from the non shower trims.

Twelve, I'm surprised you got away with a fan "in" the shower. I have not seen one rated within a foot or less, not even with GFCI.Due the fact of the openings.

I have been looking for a heater/heatlamp listed for a shower to provide heat at bath time for a Handicapped child.
With no luck.

Old 10-07-07, 08:29 PM
The trim dictates wet or damp location rating. A shower is a damp location unless subject to shower spray. Then it IS a wet location. "Wet location" trims ARE for use in showers.

Shower lights RARELY require GFI protection as per the instructions. Fans over tubs and shower usually do.

Old 10-07-07, 08:36 PM
"Twelve, I'm surprised you got away with a fan "in" the shower. I have not seen one rated within a foot or less, not even with GFCI.Due the fact of the openings."

You have to remember that I live up at the end of a dead end road in one of the most rural parts of
WV where we rarely see the law. It is doubtful that any housing codes are ever enforced there. It's just that I've read here so much that I am beginning to wonder if the shower vent/fan goes to the attic above the dropped ceiling tiles. Who knows what goes on here in the hinterlands. I have a vent/fan unit with a light over my shower at the head of a hollow (holler) that is dead end and faces a National Forest on a waterfall.

My spring is dry and I am hauling water from the river to flush the toilet. I grew up without running water so it's not a travesty. But, I am getting too old to carry the water. When I was a kid, I could carry a bucket on each arm. Now, it takes two arms to carry one bucket.

Old 10-07-07, 08:50 PM
Poor choice of words

"got away with " ... Please accept the change to "FOUND".

Damp/ wet-either or. The trim will make it good for this use.

Old 10-07-07, 09:19 PM
one other thing about shower trims i dont know if you catch this or not they are pretty restricted on wattage rating most will listed 60 watt max for shower trim.

just want to head up with this unless you got one of the big arse can with shower trim or get one with CFL verison like 23 or higher wattage type that will really light up the area

Merci, Marc