Hide wires in log house ?

Old 10-07-07, 06:03 PM
Hide wires in log house ?

I'm in the process of updating the electrical in an old log home. It would be a lot easier if I could surface mount my wires, boxes and receptacles with hardware that looks good and matches the logs. Anyone know the name for this stuff and brand names I can research?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-07, 06:11 PM
You might want to check out the Wiremold products at www.wiremold.com There products come in a variety of colors.

Old 10-08-07, 01:54 AM
Here in Norway, its common to surface mount cables, and outlets, even in new houses.
http://www.draka.com/draka/Countries...bel/Pr500W.pdfThis pamflet shows the moast common cable used for this purpose. It is compact, it keeps the sape you bend it to, and it is protected by an buildt in metal screen (in contact with the ground conductor) This cable is usually white, but may be ordered in light brown.
I do know draka.com is in USA too.
The clamping of the wires is easily done with:
http://www.letti.no/el-produkter/en-lysbrun/index.htm

Outlets and switches seems to be ok from:
http://www.leviton.com

All this weived from Norway

dsk

Old 10-08-07, 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by 10fingers View Post
I'm in the process of updating the electrical in an old log home. It would be a lot easier if I could surface mount my wires, boxes and receptacles with hardware that looks good and matches the logs. Anyone know the name for this stuff and brand names I can research?
Thanks

.....Wiremold.......do a search on google.

steve

Old 10-08-07, 06:00 AM
We have a log home and aren't trying to hide any of the new electrical in the remodel - galvanized all the way. I think it looks pretty cool.

Old 10-08-07, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by logcabincook View Post
We have a log home and aren't trying to hide any of the new electrical in the remodel - galvanized all the way. I think it looks pretty cool.
I'm seriously thinking about the conduit option as well. I had a look at wiremould. Thought there would be a better color selection than what they had.

Old 10-08-07, 09:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not uncommon to have it painted.

Old 10-08-07, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
The carpenter in me is wondering if code ever permits you making your own surface race? I'm thinking of 5/4" (true 1") X 2" stained and varnished oak or other wood with a channel routed on the back side for the wires used with UL approved surface boxes covered with matching veneer.

Old 10-08-07, 11:39 AM
Wood raceways

I looked into the exposed metal conduit and found that Allied makes colored metal conduit so that's one option. I like the idea of making my own raceways out of wood. Mass manufacture using tablesaw and router table a few hundred feet. Could also make posts for switch boxes that run to the ceiling instead of stopping half way. I'm sure this has been thought of before, anyone familier with code on this?

Old 10-08-07, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
The carpenter in me is wondering if code ever permits you making your own surface race?
No, but you could cover EMT or wiremold metal race with a wooden "U" shaped cover. Some inspectors would probably allow this for NM or AC cable too. Technically, cable should be buried in a wall at least 1-1/4" from the face of the framing (1-3/4" w/drywall) to be considered protected from damage; but I bet many inspectors could be swayed to allow the wood channel for NM. Personally, I would probably go for well-installed EMT conduit painted brown or black to roughly match the wood color; but I don't mind the "industrial" look it has.

An out-of-the-box idea could be to use brass floor receptacles thus avoiding the need for mounting wires to the walls except for switch boxes which can easily be done with EMT up from the floor. A few other locations like bathroom vanity and kitchen countertop would require wall mounting with some sort of surface race.

Old 10-08-07, 12:03 PM
Wood Raceways

Thanks Ben for your thoughts. I did look into the floor mount flush style receptacles and they would look nice. I'm trying to get a way from running extension cords from the wall into the centre of the room. I'll explore code more and see if running sheet metal inside the wood raceway is possibe.

Old 10-08-07, 06:06 PM
Cable:

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
The carpenter in me is wondering if code ever permits you making your own surface race? I'm thinking of 5/4" (true 1") X 2" stained and varnished oak or other wood with a channel routed on the back side for the wires used with UL approved surface boxes covered with matching veneer.

So long as the cables are not subject to physical damage....
Your own raceway would be fine.
The transition from "raceway" to device..... Thats where you must be carefull. Device boxes are important.

Use the propper wire (NMB) protect it.. Your good to go.

Old 10-08-07, 06:21 PM
I just finished hiding new NM wiring in an 1850 log cabin. I made my own races by either dadoing out solid wood to cover one cable or building a box around more than one, mitered edges, and all. Looked good, protected the wiring and passed inspection .

Old 10-08-07, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
Or instead of conduit per se or NM you could go with armored cable covered by wood raceways.

Old 10-13-07, 11:08 AM
Thumbs up Raceways

I think in terms of efficiency, the armoured cable with wood raceways is the best method. I likle this one. May be a bit more expensive, but I can save money somewhere else in the construction phase.