High Magnetic circuit breakers

Old 10-08-07, 02:49 PM
High Magnetic circuit breakers

Breakers with a high short circuit setting, used for circuits with inherent high-inrush load currents.
I know that GE makes these (that first line comes out of their catalog right above the section for the THLQ11xxHM breakers), but I can't figure out who else does, let alone get part numbers for them.
I called Cutler-Hammer about it and their techie just confused me on the subject saying they call them something else, and that he couldnt find the afore-mentioned GE breakers in his GE catalog to compare his stuff to.
Aren't high magnetic breakers a relatively common part that almost any breaker manufacturer makes, or do just a few companies make these?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-07, 02:57 PM
nap
a breaker rated HACR is what you are looking for, I believe. It is what is (should) be used for things like Ac equipment and the like.

Old 10-08-07, 03:10 PM
For the CH product you have to tell me if you want BR or CH verison because the BR useally come in 1 inch format while the CH come in 3/4 inch format but Need to know the exsting load center before go too far with this

by the way the CH # are here

for BR series BR1XXH

for CH series CH1XXH

note the XX you have to fill in the amp rating like 15 or 20 and normally the H verison is genrally used with high mangetic setting for switching large tungsten lamp loads and few case hevey loaded HID or Flourscent load

those breaker with the " H " suffix that normally you dont find this in big box store and have to find this in electrical supply centre

normally most appaction we dont bother to used the High magatinc breakers majorty of the 15 and 20 single pole useally rated for swtiching duty as well so they can handle the load pretty nice and yeah they are HACR rated also.

just about all breaker manufacter do have specal verison but really my stern advise is do not interchange other brandname breaker unless it is listed for.

Merci , Marc

Old 10-08-07, 04:25 PM
nap
just about all breaker manufacter do have specal verison but really my stern advise is do not interchange other brandname breaker unless it is listed for

do NOT install a breaker into a different manufacturers panel unless it has been UL listed for the application.

One thing I have to add to Marc's post since he brought up HID lights.. If using a breaker as a switch for an HID light, it now must be a breakker that is listed as an HID (and it will be marked accordingly) breaker.

If switching flourescent lights, a breaker marked SWD ir HID is acceptable.