condo problem

Old 10-08-07, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
older condo renovated

I'm having a problem. I recently renovated majority of everything inside the condo i did not touch any existing wiring, all I did was wire a few pot lights in series to existing fixtures. Everything was fine and working until I changed a reciptical in the kitcken. Everything went off. It tripped the main breaker in the building for my unit.. It was like I had 2 hots in that reciptical.. It only happenend when I changed a simple reciptical...anyone help

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-07, 08:19 PM
I'm having a problem. I recently renovated majority of everything inside the condo i did not touch any existing wiring, all I did was wire a few pot lights in series to existing fixtures. Everything was fine and working until I changed a reciptical in the kitcken. Everything went off. It tripped the main breaker in the building for my unit.. It was like I had 2 hots in that reciptical.. It only happenend when I changed a simple reciptical.
i dont know what you did at the kitchen repetaicle is that repectale is GFCI or standard set up.

did you make a note when you took the old one out and see how it connected ?? white wires for silver colour screw and black wire for brass screw and if there is red wire there also look at the old repectale if the tab was broken off it should be the same way as old one

if not post it back here

Merci, Marc

Old 10-08-07, 09:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thumbs up New thread please

You did something silly (by working with the power on & not knowing what each and every ckt in your home operates!) I just saved you, I hope, If not.. I tried ) I'm sure the fix is simple.

We do need more info.

Old 10-09-07, 04:26 AM
I suspect that you failed to note that the tab was broken on the old receptacle and you ended up connecting both legs of a multi-wire circuit together.

lectriclee has stolen my thunder, but that's okay. Someone else can beat the drum. You have to have a basic understanding of home wiring BEFORE doing any work.

Old 10-09-07, 02:11 PM
renovation problem fixed

I realized the mistake i made i didn't remove the tab on the reciptical separating the 2 paths. I realize the 3 phases involved with this circuit ... Thank you all for your help.. I made a simple mistake and its one that I'll will never forget ...

Old 10-09-07, 06:14 PM
What in the world made you guys leap to the conclusion that he was working with the power on?

Old 10-09-07, 06:19 PM
nap
When I read the OP, it could go either way BUT it does sound like the power may have been on.

judgement call John.

Old 10-09-07, 07:30 PM
I realized the mistake i made i didn't remove the tab on the reciptical separating the 2 paths. I realize the 3 phases involved with this circuit
Let me add little correction here majorty of the place is a single phase and what you have is two hot line combine them you end up useally get 240 volt at two diffrent hot wires [ some condo will have 208 volts line to line due the service entrance set up ].

the other thing it dawned to my mind being in Kitchen area it should have GFCI protection in there.

John ,.. i do not know how the OP did change the repectale hot but when the spark flew out i think he relized that he was not thinking a golden rules is shut off the breaker first before get into this.

it was pretty much a judgement call there

Merci, Marc

Old 10-09-07, 08:13 PM
Marc, the first time the word "spark" was used in this thread is when you used it. There is nothing in the his post that suggests he did this job hot.

Old 10-09-07, 08:37 PM
John sorry it was my typo error i was not full awake with this for a min i should double check it before i get to post the forum.

sorry about that i was like this few min ago >>

Merci , Marc