Crimp Connectors

Old 10-09-07, 09:29 AM
Crimp Connectors

I've seen these at Lowes a few times and I was curious what their application is.

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u390586

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-07, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can use them to crimp ground wires, or you can use them in non-line voltage wiring like automotive.

Old 10-09-07, 10:41 AM
I don't recommend these for DIYers. If not properly applied, the inspector will reject them. I have seen every box in an entire house failed for improper crimping. For DIYers, I recommend the green wire nuts for grounding wires.

Old 10-09-07, 11:37 AM
Thank John. I wasn't necessarily planning to use them. I was just curious as to their application. I figured there were special tools and circumstances to use these that made them more trouble than they were worth for the causal user.

Old 10-09-07, 01:23 PM
You are right on John - I had an inspector insist that I use ground crimps on every outlet during a basement renovation. I told him I preferrred to use green feed thru wire nuts because I had never used crimps but he was pretty adamant.

On rough in he failed every one. There are no instructions with the crimps so I just crimped them with linesmans pliers. Trust me, they passed the pull test but he wanted to see the ends of each ground wire extended past the crimp and rolled over. I redid each one but I was not a happy guy.

Old 10-09-07, 02:52 PM
I find it interesting that Lowes and Hd sell them but don't sell the crimper needed. It's called the buchanan 4 way crimper and they are becoming harder to find these days. I'm not sure if ideal even manufacturers them any more......

Old 10-09-07, 06:24 PM
Roger, I don't think that Ideal ever did make them. I have used the Buchanan crimper for almost forty years. I first saw them at a job I worked before college and while the Buchanan crimp caps were readily available from the (local) predecessor of the "big box" stores the Buchanan four-way crimper was not. I asked about the crimper and was shown an Ideal crimper for uninsulated lugs. Knowing that was NOT the proper tool I asked my boss where to get one. He wasn't sure but suggested I try the local wholesale electrical supply.

They really didn't want to sell the tool to me but I cried and got it. I think it was about twenty bucks back in 1968 and THAT was a pretty penny to me working at a wage of $3.45 an hour.

Okay, on checking the Ideal website I see that they do list Buchanan splice caps and termend lugs. Ideal must have bought out Buchanan. On my tool it is listed as the Buchanan C-24 Press-SURE Tool and the company is Buchanan Electrical Products Corporation.

Old 10-09-07, 07:26 PM
nap
I live near Elkhart Indiana, the home of the RV and mobile/mod home industry. Those things are used in many, many of the electrical systems on the EGC (grounds).

I do not care for them as they are a permanent connection and are a pain to remove should you need to. I'll stick with twist on wire connectors.

Old 10-09-07, 07:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have my dad's old crimper from when he worked with the power company. It ratchets, and will not release until the crimp is complete (yes I tried it on my finger when I was a kid, and it hurt!) But it does make an excellent permanent exothermic weld.

Old 10-09-07, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use them almost exclusively.
There are inspectors that require the use of the four-way crimper, but that is not the only accepted method. A linemans with the built-in crimper is a manufacturer approved crimping method.
Next time you look at a pack read the instructions. It mentions the four-way, but also lists the crimping linemans as an alternate method.

cwbuff, I would have fought that moron inspector tooth and nail. He was WAY out of bounds.

Old 10-09-07, 08:06 PM
Ditto with other guys's comment about the Burchmann connectors and crimming device i used also alot and i go both ways depending on what going on the jobsite.

Tsk Tsk Cwbuff you should fought the inspector he is way off track with this if i were ya i will challange him to prove it

The burchmann crimp deivce is not only popualir on this side of the " pond " it is pretty common over european area too few area do allow this also

Merci, Marc

Old 10-09-07, 09:33 PM
Whats wrong with twisting then wire nutting?

Old 10-09-07, 10:19 PM
you mean like this ??http://www.idealindustries.com/produ..._grounding.jsp

there is nothing wrong but some like to use the crimping sleeve and some like to use the greenie aka green wirenuts

it pretty much to some use etither way one will like this and other will like this so pretty much both items are approved for ground wire appactaion

Merci, Marc

Old 10-09-07, 11:24 PM
Chandler, the Buchanan crimper doesn't release until the full cycle crimp is completed. I have three other "ratcheting" crimpers, a Sergeant and two Amp that also do not release until the full cycle crimp. These are pretty popular among electronics and some commercial and industrial work but not often seen around residential or DIY.

One thing that I like about using the steel Buchanan crimp caps is that it is not necessary to twist the wires before crimping. If you use the copper caps twisting IS necessary.

And yes, they are permanent.

Old 10-10-07, 12:28 AM
Furd

You're probably right .... ideal isn't the original manufacturer. I will have to side with Speedy... I use them a lot. They are a slick way to handle a lot of ground wires. I personally don't use the 4 way but the alternate method using linemans crimpers mine are made by thomas bett. I didn't mention cause I figured I'd be in front of the firing squad.......