Electrical Outlet ?

Old 10-09-07, 12:12 PM
Electrical Outlet ?

I would like to know how to tell if an outlet I have is wired for 220 or 110. I want to buy a 220 window air conditioner and not sure which my outlet is.

It looks sort of different than an ordinary wall outlet but the cover is flush with the wall.

Yes, I am definately a woman who knows nothing about this stuff. Just thought someone may be able to guide me before I go purchasing something I can't use.

Thanks guys for any help you can give!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-07, 12:16 PM
Well, you can do any of the following:

Buy a meter and measure the voltage.

Read the writing on the receptacle itself.

Compare the receptacle to various receptacles.
Here is a chart: http://nooutage.com/nema_configurations.htm#NEMA%20Configurations. Here is another chart http://www.westernextralite.com/resources.asp?key=69.

Pay an electrician to come out and tell you.

Do you have any 240 volt circuits in your house (that you can't account for)? You can (hopefully) account for breakers for things like the water heater, the dryer, the stove, etc. (if you have any of those items).

Old 10-09-07, 01:29 PM
Take a pic of the outlet and post it. Can you better describe how it is different than a typical wall outlet? If it's a wall outlet with vertical slots it is probably 120v. If it's a wall outlet with horizontal slots it is probably 240V.

Old 10-09-07, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by twidman View Post
I would like to know how to tell if an outlet I have is wired for 220 or 110. I want to buy a 220 window air conditioner and not sure which my outlet is.
The voltage is only half of the story. You also need to determine the ampacity of the circuit to get the correct size air conditioner. The receptacle chart Bob posted should determine both, but you should also use a tester and identify which breaker supplies this receptacle.