Elongating existing in-wall wire

Old 10-10-07, 09:57 AM
Elongating existing in-wall wire

It is 240v to an existing baseboard heater. The new heater is about 12" shorter than the original so the existing wire just wont reach. Can I just splice in 12" or so, cover the splice with a junction box and attach the junction box to a stud with an inspection plate (blank) on the front?

Or can I just leave the junction box (like NEW WORK) behind the drywall and patch over it?

I dont have to run a completely new wire from the service panel do I?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-07, 10:03 AM
All junctions boxes must remain permanently accessible. You cannot bury a junction box inside the wall. You can install a junction box in the normal manner and use a blank cover.

Why not just move the heater 12 inches closer to the supply wire?

Old 10-10-07, 10:34 AM
Elongating in-wall wire

Aesthetics. It's under a window so it looks awkward if not centered and since it's not possible to hide it with furniture, blinds, etc it becomes pretty obvious.

Thanks for the feedback: drywall surface mount box with inspection plate 13" above walking surface it shall be then.

Ultimately I would have just bought a longer heater housing or shifted the shorter one over closer to the end of the wire... burying it in the drywall sounded a bit suspicious (it was a recomendation from a local "electrician").

Old 10-10-07, 04:51 PM
It doesn't have to be surface mount. It can be mounted into the drywall with the cover plate even with the drywall. Paint it to match the wall and it will almost disappear.

Old 10-10-07, 04:57 PM
Is an outlet an option instead of a J box?

Old 10-10-07, 06:01 PM
I assume you mean a receptacle. No, not on a 240 volt circuit dedicated for a baseboard heater.

Of course, a 120 volt circuit could be run to the same junction box, and a receptacle could be put on the 120 volt circuit.

Old 10-11-07, 07:01 AM
mounting a junction box for a 240v cct ext

This is excelent feedback. Mounting the junction box flush to the drywall is obviously the way to go in my case.

Thanks again.