Do I need a GFI for a dedicated sump

Old 10-12-07, 07:31 AM
Do I need a GFI for a dedicated sump

I ran a dedicated circuit to a sump pump for a small granny flat waste stream. Does this circuit need to be on a GFI? The receptacle and pump are on the exterior of the dwelling.

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-07, 07:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No GFCI protection is required if you use a simplex receptacle, however a weather tight box and in-use bubble cover is required for the receptacle.

Old 10-12-07, 08:54 AM
I'm going to disagree with Ben. There are such exceptions for basements and garages and outdoor ice-melting equipment, but not for this. GFCI is required.

Old 10-12-07, 09:01 AM
I don't think I would put a sump pump outdoors without GFCI protection. Even on a simplex receptacle. I think some inspectors might allow it, but I think it is (according to the letter of the code) required.

John, where have you heard of ice melting equipment exempted from the GFCI requirement? I looked ate several different products, and they all stated that GFCI protection was required. One even went so far as to provide it in their cord ands plug assembly.

Old 10-12-07, 09:07 AM
I didn't give all the conditions of the exemption. It requires certain construction of the equipment to qualify.

Old 10-12-07, 05:55 PM
Wouldnt this require GFCI , By virtue of being an "OUTDOOR" receptacle????

Old 10-12-07, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by tola View Post
I ran a dedicated circuit to a sump pump for a small granny flat waste stream. Does this circuit need to be on a GFI? The receptacle and pump are on the exterior of the dwelling.

Thanks

Tom
Unforteally the code is very spefically on outdoor recepetale are mantory GFCI and i dont think they have any exempt on this part at all