baseboard heater

Old 10-12-07, 11:02 AM
baseboard heater

Because of forgetfullness I would like to install a pilot lamp into a 240v 750 watt baseboard heater. I only want the light to be on when the heater is in use. Is it possible to do this?

I tried to insert an image of the wiring diagram but Iwas unsuccessful.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-07, 11:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Install the 240V lamp in parallel with the heater element after the thermostat.

You can upload pictures to a free photo sharing site, then post the URL here.

Old 10-12-07, 11:35 AM
If you have an external thermostat this is easy to do, and the light could even be next to close to the thermostat.

However, if you have an internal (built in) thermostat this could be trickier.

Old 10-12-07, 11:52 AM
Racraft i agree with you with the interal thermosat.

but if this thermosat is single pole it will get very tricky but if double pole it is doable.

Merci, Marc

[ i think i have a idea but not sure if that will work useing a small CT doughnut and have a low voltage light bulb hook up when the heater kick in you will see the light lit up i think this will work on single pole thermosat set up but if instering to know let me know i will dig up some details on this ]

Old 10-12-07, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
[ i think i have a idea but not sure if that will work useing a small CT doughnut and have a low voltage light bulb hook up when the heater kick in you will see the light lit up i think this will work on single pole thermosat set up but if instering to know let me know i will dig up some details on this ]
This would be a great way to do this. With the CT it will show that you have a load on the cct. By just putting a light in parallel with the heater will only show that you voltage, not that you have a load.

Old 10-12-07, 01:49 PM
Yes, but one knows if one has heat because the heater heats up and the room gets warm.

Old 10-12-07, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Yes, but one knows if one has heat because the heater heats up and the room gets warm.
If this was the case, why bother with the lamp at all?

I did an install similar to this for a security company. They put lights in the windows of their trailers, so when they were driving around at night they did'nt have to get out of the vehicle to see if the heat was on. It gets pretty cold up here sometimes.

Old 10-12-07, 02:33 PM
the last time i did used the CT on large commercal heater it will tell how much load it ran that heater have multi stage heating so i add a CT and lamp easy to tell no light mean no load to the heater and dim lamp mean partal load and bright light mean full load that how it can tell

Merci, Marc

Old 10-12-07, 03:23 PM
Actually, a pilot light won't work either, at least not downstream from the thermostat. The OP wants to know when the thermostat is in the ON position, not whether or not current is flowing or heat is being generated. What he needs is a thermostat with a built in pilot light. Yes, they do make them.

Old 10-12-07, 03:49 PM
baseboard heater

I did have a 120 volt neon type pilot light wired across one leg of the heater however this cause the heater to only put out a small amount of heat.

I have looked for 240v pilot lights but have been unable to find them in a small size. the thermostat with a built in light sounds like what I need. Where would I find this.

P.S. It is a built in thermostat. The thermostat has 4 connections L1,L2,Off and Cycle