microwave and disposal on same circuit?

Old 10-12-07, 01:33 PM
microwave and disposal on same circuit?

Hi everyone,

I just moved things around in my kitchen and it would work best if I had the microwave and disposal on the same 20 Amp circuit.

microwave 1000 watts, 14.1 amps.
disposal 373 watts, 6.9 amps.

I realize this comes to 21 amps total, but with the intermittent use of each, do you think breaker tripping will be a problem?

mrross

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-07, 02:17 PM
Not to sure where you live, but in CANADA, the microwave has to be on it's own 15a cct. So if you live in Canada, the answer is, no, not legally.

Old 10-12-07, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by mrross View Post
Hi everyone,

I just moved things around in my kitchen and it would work best if I had the microwave and disposal on the same 20 Amp circuit.

microwave 1000 watts, 14.1 amps.
disposal 373 watts, 6.9 amps.

I realize this comes to 21 amps total, but with the intermittent use of each, do you think breaker tripping will be a problem?

mrross
there one thing it dont jive with me is the garbage dispoal the wattage dont match the amp rating

anyway in USA part is the microwave and garbage dispoal is on the GFCI small appliance circuit ??

normally the garbage dispoal useally have it own circuit

just circuious how old this home because i can able tell when the code[s] were in effect for that era.

beside how many time you will run the microwave and garbage dispoal at the same time ? not too often but it can happend.

for most garabge dispoal normally they rated it in HP and amparages they dont useally listed in wattage

6.9 amp @ 120 volts = 828 watts

i am sure it should have more than a small applanice circuit in the kitchen area

Merci , Marc

Old 10-12-07, 02:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, you cannot share the circuit for fixed appliances unless both appliances are less than 50% of the circuit ampacity. In your case, the microwave is large enough at 14A that it requires a dedicated 20A circuit.

Additionally, the installation instructions for the microwave will specify a dedicated circuit, and manufacturer's instructions must be followed to meet code.

Old 10-12-07, 03:24 PM
No can do. Try again. Disposal and dishwasher, maybe. But not the microwave.