GFCI wiring

Old 10-12-07, 08:27 PM
Thumbs down GFCI wiring

Well, I have no idea. Appreciate the help of an expert very much. I am replacing a combination outlet/switch GFCI in my kitchen. It is a 15 amp unit on a 20 amp circuit. The switch controls a 1/2 hp garbage disposal. The disposal needs power from the switch. I identified the three sets of wires coming into the box and wired the GFCI in accordance with the instructions. Seemed simple enough. The GFCI works for the outlet and resets as advertised. But I can't get the switch to operate the disposal. I connected the load wire set to the correct terminals on the GFCI. I connected the wires (red and white) from the disposal to the two black switch wires coming out of the back of the GFCI, but I guess they don't supply power to the disposal - just a switch loop. So what would be the correct way to get power to the disposal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've replaced these in my bathrooms a while back and had no problem, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Is it possible I have a bad GFCI? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-07, 08:57 PM
First and foremost. What you are doing is against code. Code does not allow a kitchen counter receptacle to be on the same circuit as the disposal.

As for your problem, I think I kn ow what it is. But to be clear, tell me ALL the wiring in the box and tell me the disposal wiring as well.

Old 10-12-07, 09:11 PM
That's news to me regarding code. I am replacing a standard combo switch with the GFCI. Maybe when the house was built (mid 60s), the code was different. I have three cables, two wires each entering the box. As I indicated in my original post, I've identified the line and load wires, as well as the wires (2) from the disposal. I attached the line wires and checked the GFCI for normal operation before attaching the load wires or the disposal wires. It worked fine. I then attached the load wires and checked it again. Again, it worked as advertised. Only the disposal won't work. I'll probably have to get an electrician to change things if its not up to current code as I plan on selling in the near future.

Old 10-13-07, 05:13 AM
Code in the 60s was certainly different. I do not know if this was against code then. I would not rush to correct this as what you want to do (use a GFCI) is safe.

Your problem is that you are attempting to connect the two wires to the disposal across the switch.

Connect the neutral for the disposal to the LINE neutral, connect the hot for the disposal to one side of the switch, and connect the other side of the switch to the LINE hot.

Old 10-13-07, 06:54 AM
Okay, I'll try that and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.

Bill