220V Programmable Thermostat Install

Old 10-13-07, 01:13 PM
220V Programmable Thermostat Install

Hey guys, I just have a quick question to ensure I am installing a new programmable thermostat properly to my 220V electric baseboard heat system. I bought the LuxPro PSPLV510 programmable therm. with one black and one red wire coming from the back of the therm. When taking off the old one I see two black wires, one coming down the wall into the box, and one up the wall from the ground into the box (looks like a 2 wire cable with only hot wires hooked to old therm). I just want to make sure which wire gets connected to which. We just moved in and have never had 220V electric heat, only gas which we will convert to later. I'm not an electrician, but know I can do this one myself and Any help would be great...Thanks!

http://luxproproducts.com/pdfs/elv1_eng.pdf

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-07, 01:31 PM
I don;t understand the question. If the wires are marked line and load then connect them properly. If they are not marked then it does not matter.

Old 10-13-07, 01:33 PM
I have just read your post several times, and still cannot find the question. Just kidding.

You are over complecating the install.

Hook up one of the wires from the cable that comes in the top of the box to the t stat, hook up one of the wires that comes from the bottom cable to the t stat. Leave the others spliced through the box.

The T stat is only acting as a switch. The battery is for the other functions. Polarity should not matter.

Old 10-13-07, 03:20 PM
Sorry guys

Sorry guys, I guess what Im asking is that the two black wires coming from the box can be hooked up to either the black or the red wire on the stat...right? I dont have to specifically hook one to the red and the other to the black, so long as they are both hooked to the stat...I just dont want to hook them up backwards or something and cause a fire hazard.

And the old stat had the wires being hooked to the stat screws on the back like an outlet, this is just hooking the cables around the striped wires on the stat right...New to all this homeowner stuff, sorry for not being more specific...But I appreciate your help, just tryin to cover all basis so we are safe...

Old 10-13-07, 04:16 PM
This thermostat works by breaking (electrically opening) the hot wire. In a 120 volt setup you break the one hot wire. In a 240 volt setup you break one of the two hot wires.

In a 240 volt setup both hot lines are the same, except that one is 180 degrees out of phase with the the other. It makes no difference to the thermostat which one it sees.

Connect one insulated wire from one cable to the thermostat and one insulated wire from the other terminal of the thermostat. Connect the remaining two insulated wires (one from each cable) together with a wire nut. Connect the ground wires (bare copper or green insulated) together and pigtail to the box, if it is metal, and to the thermostat ground connection.

Old 10-14-07, 11:37 AM
Got it!

Thanks for all your help guys, I hooked it up last night and everything works fine...I appreciate it!