Buried wire question......

Old 10-14-07, 12:53 PM
VVG
Buried wire question......

The previous owner of our home had a waterfall in the backyard. It doesnt work anymore and anyway I was wanting to take the 110 wire out to a shed in the backyard. What kind of wire do you use and how do you splice underground wires together? How deep does it have to be buried? Does the wire inside the shed need to be in a conduit?

I also was wondering if on Malibu low voltage outdoor lighting the main wire can it be spliced together? The current one just stops and is not covered at the end of the cut wire. Also is there a limit on the number of lights or watts consumed on a system like that. Also is there and easy way to run the low voltage wires under a sidewalk? I have seen kits for a water hose but it seems like that would remove a lot of soil from under the cement.

Thanks!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-07, 01:33 PM
First, I'll recommend you pick up a few books on home wiring. We cannot possibly tell you everything you need to know in this forum.

Next, I'll provide simple, direct answers to your explicit questions.

What kind of wire do you use
Use 12/2 UF-B (if the circuit breaker is either 15 or 20 amps), or 14/2 UF-B (if the circuit breaker is 15 amps).

how do you splice underground wires together
Buy an underground UF-B splice kit at your home center. It's about ten bucks.

How deep does it have to be buried
12 inches, if the GFCI protection is provided inside the house (by a GFCI receptacle or GFCI breaker).

Does the wire inside the shed need to be in a conduit
No, assuming it is otherwise adequately protected from physical damage.

I also was wondering if on Malibu low voltage outdoor lighting the main wire can it be spliced together
Yes. This is a separate topic, right?

Also is there a limit on the number of lights or watts consumed on a system like that
Yes, certainly. It depends primarily on the transformer. You'll need to see the manufacturer's documentation to know what the limits are for yours. There is also a limit on the length of the wire.

Also is there and easy way to run the low voltage wires under a sidewalk
Yes. Running water is the best tool. Connect your hose to some rigid plastic pipe, turn on the water, and just push it under the side walk. It will push aside a bit more soil than required, but this shouldn't be a problem. To minimize the risk, don't put it directly under an expansion joint.