cable routing

Old 10-18-07, 01:37 PM
cable routing

I am installing a 100 amp subpanel approx. 60+ feet from my main panel. I will be able to route the 2/2/2/4 aluminum SER cable inside the entire run in wall/floor cavities that will be closed in and non-accessible. I will have to pass through one triple sill (2x6's) above the panel, make a 90 degree turn, travel 10 feet and make another 90 and pass through 1/2 inch OSB, make another 90 degree turn and travel 35 feet parallel to TJIs, pass through OSB again, then turn up into the subpanel mounted in the wall studs.

Is there any reason to run this cable in conduit? If I don't run it in conduit, is there any particular protection steps I need to take as I pass through the sill and OSB? I will be able to stay more than 1 1/2 inches from the edge of the studs/joists and the route will be very near outside walls where there will be little if any need to penetrate in the future.
Also, is there a particular anchoring device that is preferable for anchoring to the 2x6s and TJI's for this large of cable if not run in conduit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-07, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No need to run in conduit. No additional protection is necessary so long as you maintain the 1-1/4" distance from the face of the framing. Use appropriate size "U"-shaped plastic cable staples that have a small brad nail on either side; they come in many sizes.

Old 10-19-07, 12:34 PM
Ben,

Thanks for your quick response! I really appreciate it!