Running URD/USE-2 cable, up electric pole

Old 10-19-07, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Running URD/USE-2 cable, up electric pole

Hello, I understand you can't use URD from the meter to the breaker panel as it's not fire retarded, so going to use AL SEU, but, most of the URD I found is (twised) 3 or 4 single cables together forming one that's USE2 rated aluminum... I'm running an underground service to garage, my question is can you run the URD/USE2 for the full run from the meter-underground-upthepole to transformer then? My concern was is it's just twisted together but not jacketed all together as one so is this ok to run all the way up the electric pole to transformer...that my Electric Co to connect then?

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-07, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jsg007 View Post
can you run the URD/USE2 for the full run from the meter-underground-upthepole to transformer then?
Yes, you may. The power company will cover it with half-conduit up the pole. Of course, you should always ask the power company first when you're doing anything that directly involves them.

Old 10-19-07, 02:12 PM
Ok great! since the URD going to be using is 3 wire (2 conductors and ground not neutral) does it get connected the same into meter box (assuming yes) and using SEU from meter to main panel would connect same? maybe it's just the wording confusing me...if using 3rd cable from URD with yellow stripe as ground vs neutral does it connect/mount directly on the main panel box where my copper wire ground is attached? Or, to normal neutral connector in main panel?

thanks!

Old 10-19-07, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something I forgot to mention in my previous post. The cable should only be used above ground if it also carries a UV/sunlight rating in addition to the underground rating.

Originally Posted by jsg007 View Post
Ok great! since the URD going to be using is 3 wire (2 conductors and ground not neutral)
It's actually two hots and a (grounded) neutral. There is no "ground" conductor per se in a three-wire service.

does it get connected the same into meter box (assuming yes) and using SEU from meter to main panel would connect same?
The same.

where my copper wire ground is attached? Or, to normal neutral connector in main panel?
Neutral lug. Of course in a main panel, the ground bar(s) and neutral bar(s) should be electrically bonded.

Old 10-19-07, 02:43 PM
That's what I thought, but, one guy at electrical warehouse mentioned the URD having a ground, perhaps if it were bare, but, sounds as though all 3 wire URD/USE2's are all insulated cables then. Yeah, I made sure the URD had the USE-2 label which then is uv/sunlight protected..etc. I'm assuming to this can be used in a conduit with no problem? If I use 1 1/2 inch conduit would that meet NEC code for 2/0 URD 3 wire cable? Understand it's 40% fill as max, I think the cables are each 80mil so guessing 240mil for 3 cables is that > 40% of 1 1/2 conduit size? guess I can look this up myself and calculate...

Thanks
Jim

Old 10-19-07, 03:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah you can use it in conduit, but it's not really common to do. Typically, you direct bury cables and pull individual conductors in conduit. How long is the conduit run? How many bends? Does the cable have an overall jacket enclosing the conductors or just the three twisted together?

The big problem with pulling a cable assembly into a conduit is that it can be so stiff that it just jams up in a bend and there's no getting it through (and sometimes no getting it back out). I would definitely upsize to 2" or 2.5" conduit to pull a 2/0 service cable through. The minor bump in conduit cost will pay back in the reduced frustration of trying to get that cable through a small conduit.

By the way, when calculating the cross section area for the purpose of conduit fill with cables, you need to measure the cable assembly at its widest diameter, and compute the area as if the cable was perfectly circular at its widest point. Therefore, a cable that measured 1" diameter at its widest point would have cross sectional area of (PI * r^2) = 3.14 * (0.5 ^ 2) = 0.785 sq. in. regardless of the areas of the conductors which make up the cable.

Old 10-19-07, 03:43 PM
yeah, the URD will be getting is 3 twisted cables w/o jacket...that's why was wondering about running it up the electric pole to transformer, but, electric will supply 1/2 size conduit you mentioned or somebody did...
When I first started (this big project I pulled 2/0 SEU thru 1 1/2 conduit and pulled it thru each 10ft conduit piece separately then joined them...and actually was alot easier than I thought. On the bends I used joy soap and all in all was pretty easy. But, none the less I will be returning the SEU to HomeDepot tomorrow.... I already have the 1 1/2 conduit, so just wondering on that part. If use conduit will have 3 90's and 45 won't go over 360degress. The electric pole is 1ft off drive way so probably need SCH80 for my 10ft riser there...this is gotta be 2" I found out! The run is about 85ft so under 100ft good there.