cable outlet in a new home

Old 10-19-07, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cable outlet in a new home

hi,
I have bought a new home but i see that the cable outlet in each room which does not have the outlet has the cable wire running from end to end with no outlet inside the socket, when i open it.
Can I use a splitter to just cut the wire and create a outlet or is there any other way.
Unlike apartments, the cable outlet does not have a readymade outlet and has the cable is just shown running from wall to wall when i open the plastic socket cover.?
Please let me know what i should do to conect the tv/internet as the cable guy does not know what to do !!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-07, 06:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you try and rephrase this question? I really have no idea what you are saying.

Old 10-19-07, 06:47 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I've read it no less than 6 times, and can't make it work. Slow down and give us all the details. We'd rather read a dissertation with all the information, so we can give you good advice. You could even post a picture on a site such as photobucket.com and give us the urls, and we might be better able to see what you see.

Old 10-19-07, 06:53 PM
Tell me if I have this right:
1. You have wall plates in every room. Some have blank plates, and others have RF cable connectors on the plates.
2. When you remove a blank plate you see a loop of cable inside the box.
3. You want to know if you can cut the loop, install a splitter, and attach a wall plate with a connector.

The answer is yes, but too many splitters will cause your signal to degrade.

Old 10-19-07, 07:25 PM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
And if you are wanting to use a satellite the splitters won't work.

Old 10-19-07, 07:43 PM
Sorry for confusing. Thought you will be able to get this right.
Anyways, have attached 2 photos.
1. There are plastic plates in each room (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...ostream&size=l) with none of them having the cable outlet as i see in apts.
2. When i remove the plate, i see a loop of wire (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...ostream&size=l) but this is like travelling from 1 pt to the other, so i guess they have just given the option of the wire and I should cut it ?
3. You are correct, should i cut it, is this the normal way of activating these cable outlets.

I am a newbie, so bare with me. What did you DIYpros do to set this right, when u bought your new home. The cable guy nor the homebuilder are ready to help...

Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Tell me if I have this right:
1. You have wall plates in every room. Some have blank plates, and others have RF cable connectors on the plates.
2. When you remove a blank plate you see a loop of cable inside the box.
3. You want to know if you can cut the loop, install a splitter, and attach a wall plate with a connector.

The answer is yes, but too many splitters will cause your signal to degrade.

Old 10-19-07, 08:01 PM
I would not cut this wire if there is no slack in it. Can you pull enough of this cable out so that is is extending about 4-6" out of the box?

I have seen these blank face plates with looped telephone wire, but not coax.

Your best option might be too make new home runs for the cable (run new wire from demark to new outlet in wall).

If this is out of your scope of DIY type of work, you might be able to cut that wire if it's long enough and crimp on a connector(s) and put a splitter in there. The face plate could now be swapped out with a standard COAX receptacle.

Old 10-19-07, 09:02 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It may be better to install a distribution amplifier and run individual cables.

Old 10-19-07, 10:41 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Try gently tugging the cable on each part where it goes through the hole in the back of the box. It is possible that you already have "home run" cabling and the cut end was just shoved through a spare hole.

If the above turns out to be true then somewhere (probably the garage where the electrical panel is) all of the various wires will be grouped.

Again, if the above is true then the cable television installer should now know what to do and be able to quickly do the installation.

If the cable is indeed "looped through" the box you are going to have a real tough time of it.