Remove one baseboard heater, keep second one

Old 10-19-07, 05:48 PM
Remove one baseboard heater, keep second one

Hello everybody. I have a question about proper electrical wire termination. The situation is that I have 2 electrical baseboard heaters running off thermostat on the wall. I checked both and looks like they run in parallel. Basically it goes like this:
First is thermostat, then heater#1, then there is a wire running to heater#2 from heater#1. I need to remove heater#1, so I have to keep wires connected. Can I just move those wires into junction box? Should this box have an access from outside? What kind of box - plastic or metal? And how high from the floor?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-07, 05:59 PM
Assume the wires can be brought together with at least 6 inches of overlap to make the connections, you can connect them together in a junction box. The box must be permanently accessible (i.e., put a blank cover plate on it). It may be either plastic or metal, but I recommend plastic as it eliminates the requirement to ground the box. It may be at any height you want.

If the wires cannot be brought together with at least 6 inches of overlap, post back for alternatives. When you do, tell us what gauge the wire is and what is the size of the circuit breaker.

Old 10-19-07, 06:42 PM
Well, I don't know what gauge wire is, but it's white, kind of flat and about 1/2" wide. Inside black, white and ground wire. Cable itslef is very difficult to bend. Probably 12 or 14.
There are 2 breakers on panel, both are 20Amp.
Yes, I can bring wire todether. They are actually connected inside first baseboard heater (which I'm planning to remove).

By the way, both heaters re 1000W each. Can I have only one 1500W?
One more Q, are there any onwall programmable thermostats for electric bb heaters?

Thank's a lot for such a quick reply.

Old 10-19-07, 08:10 PM
Can you give us more context? It'll keep us from going off on so many wild goose chases caused by the information dribbling out slowly.