Help with outdoor septic pump wiring

Old 10-20-07, 01:31 PM
Help with outdoor septic pump wiring

When our house was built the contractor just plugged in the two cables from the septic pump and float in the outside gfci recepticle. One of the cables is 16awg 2c and the other is 16awg 3c. The wiring is supposed to be wired to the outlet like the other new houses in my neighborhood are. There is a box extension on the outlet with a hole in the bottom for pvc conduit. My question is, since one of the septic wires is 3c, what do I do with the red wire? The wiring for the gfci outlet is 12/2. I haven't cut off the plug ends of the septic wiring yet but I was assuming 3c means it has a red wire too.

I just looked at a replacement wire with a plug on the end of it that I have laying around in the garage. It is labeled as 14/3 but there is only a black, white, and ground. Maybe the 16/3 septic wire doesn't have a red in it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-07, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Flexible cord like extension cords count the ground wire in the description, ie 3 conductor cord would be 1 blk, 1 white and 1 green.

Why would you want to cut off the cord ends? Do the instruction allow this to be hard wired? It was made that way and will be easier to change out if needed.

Old 10-20-07, 03:42 PM
How do I protect the wires coming out of the ground from the lawn mower, etc? It's just the two cables coming out of the ground and plugged into the outlet.

Old 10-20-07, 07:11 PM
nap
I have my doubts as to the legality of the installation as posted.

the cord must be a type that is allowed to be buried for this to be as you post. If it isn;t, then you have to either replace the wire with wire that is acceptable for underground or use conduit. You also do not want to remove the plug as a disconnect is required and the plug is acceptable as a disconnect.

Old 10-20-07, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I have my doubts as to the legality of the installation as posted.

the cord must be a type that is allowed to be buried for this to be as you post. If it isn;t, then you have to either replace the wire with wire that is acceptable for underground or use conduit. You also do not want to remove the plug as a disconnect is required and the plug is acceptable as a disconnect.
It says it's type C. Is that not suitable to be buried? If it is suitable, I still would like to know the proper way to have it come out of the ground and be protected once out of the ground?

Old 10-20-07, 08:38 PM
Any other nomenclature on the cable?
Type C cable is lamp cord and I doubt that is what you have there (although one never knows).

Old 10-20-07, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by dezwit View Post
Any other nomenclature on the cable?
Type C cable is lamp cord and I doubt that is what you have there (although one never knows).
It is 16AWG. One is 2C and the other is 3C. Thick black cables. I don't know how else to describe it.

Old 10-21-07, 09:59 AM
nap
the 2 C and the 3 C are merely conductor counts. There should be some other letters on the cable.

Old 10-21-07, 12:05 PM
Look closely at your cable, it's required by law to be marked properly.

Most of the sewer systems that I've installed and serviced used Type TC direct burial cable for the connection from the tank to the power supply.

In my opinion, the installation of this type cable and system would fall under Article 725 of the Electrical Code

All of the ones that I installed were hard wired to a disconnect mounted on the outside wall of the house.

In my opinion.....
If the cable is Type TC and direct buried.... from the tank to.... and emerges from the ground at.... the house, and has factory supplied plugs on the ends of the cable....

I would install the the cable in conduit as it's emerges from the ground to protect it in accordance with 300.5 of the NEC.

The conduit would be large enough for the plug ends to travel through it, start at 18" below grade and terminate above ground in a (plastic) weather proof junction box near the receptacle.
This box would be fastened to the house, and large enough to coil any extra cord inside it.

At that point, I would cut a hole in the bottom of the weather proof box large enough to pass the cable ends through, pull out just enough to reach the receptacle and plug them into the GFI receptacle.

I would use duct seal or caulking to close the hole around the cable as it leaves the box.
This will keep any rain or insects from entering the box.

I would probably use PVC conduit (1 1/4"?) and a 6" x 6" PVC junction box w/cover.

This is my opinion on how I would fix the problem if it was mine.
I won't be held responsible or liable for the use or mis-use of this information.
Us it at your own risk.
It's your responsibility to do any work safely and according to any applicable law.
My second disclaimer for today

Hope this helps.
steve

Old 10-21-07, 01:24 PM
I am very doubtful that this problem is the type that a DIYer can try to eliminate.

Between the issues of Grounding , the approved Wiring Method that will protect the conductors from exposure to water , and the sanitation concerns---

Old 10-21-07, 01:35 PM
let me see if I got this right..

a septic (or is it a low volume/pressure sewer pump), is one thing i'd want very reliable. 1) I wouldn't want it on a GFCI, 2) I WOULD use conduit ~24" underground, not cable, and 3) I would NOT use a plug in cord.
If I hear this correct, when the yard man comes over and needs to trim to hedge, he might leave your sewer pump unplugged and the house becomes a mess???

Old 10-21-07, 04:45 PM
There are some other numbers on the cables.

16AWG 3C 105(degrees)C FT2 Water Resistant
16AWG 2C 105 (degrees)C VW-1

I don't see anything that says TC. It definitely just came out of the ground as the bare wires, nothing protecting it at at all when it came out of the ground.

I have been trying to get them to do something about this since July.

Old 10-22-07, 05:57 AM
soup006....

Where is the tank located in regards to your house?

How far is it from the tank to the wall (and receptacle)?

steve