Overhead electrical wires in basement

Old 10-20-07, 03:29 PM
Overhead electrical wires in basement

Hello-

I am in the process of finishing the basement ceiling, and I have run into a small problem...

There is electrical rods (whatever you call the silver pieces of pipe that wires sit in so they don't droop down) going across the bottom of 7 joists...

I either have to create a "box" to cover this issue, but I would really like to rerun the electrical poles so they go through the joists and do not impede my progress on the ceiling.

To make matters worse, I have a juntion box directly beneath the a piece of duct work....if I can redo this, I can move the junction box over a few joists so it can everything can then rest above the bottom of the joist so I can just continue on with my drywall ceiling.

Any tips on where to begin? This is huge!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-07, 03:54 PM
I guess I have no idea what these "rods" or "poles" are. But you are allowed to drill joists and run the cables through them. You are also allowed to staple the cables to the sides of the joists. If you could post a picture somewhere, it might help us understand what you are working with.

Old 10-20-07, 04:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
I guess I have no idea what these "rods" or "poles" are.

Conduit........

Old 10-20-07, 05:10 PM
Probably conduit which can be moved up. However you can not move that junction up and drywall over it. All junction boxes must remain accessible. You will need to move it an area that is not drywalled or leave it flush and put a blank cover on it.

Old 10-20-07, 10:16 PM
Yeah, it is conduit.

The task of re-doing the whole thing was going to be way too time consuming, so I went ahead and cut some nothes out of the joists.....turned the conduit line so it would fit in the groove and secured them all with a screw and zip tie!

It looks good and will be even better once I get the sheetrock up!

Since I do not have a whole heck of a lot of ceiling clearance, I am trying to find an alternative way to light that side of the basement. Right now, I have a single 75watt bulb hanging down about 7 inches (6.5 inches after I get the 1/2 inch sheetrock up....I do not want to do recessed lighting, byt surely there is something that will not look so terrible coming out of the ceiling.....any suggestions?

Old 10-21-07, 06:41 AM
flourescent?

GE sells undercabinet lights, 2, 3, and 4' long that are only 2" thick or so.

Old 10-21-07, 06:50 AM
Funny thing is I just removed a 2-bulb flourecent fixture that was 4' long (from the drop ceiling)

Are under the cabinet fixtures different then what I removed and would one of those suffice for an area that is about 150 sq. ft?

Thanks

Old 10-21-07, 12:27 PM
go to the big orange store

They have a "premium" GE undercabinet lamp, a single T5 24watt 48" tube in an enclosed lens fixture. You will need perhaps 2 or 3 for your space.

Old 10-21-07, 12:42 PM
Be sure that the ceiling "finish" (S-R) does not result in ANY electrical boxes being concealed/ hidden above the "finish".

Old 10-22-07, 02:36 PM
I have a total of 2 jucntion boxes and 2 light fixtures that will be above the finish. I will also have the main phone line about the ceiling if things stay where they are right now.

1. What would you recommend for "hiding" the junction boxes? Again, my clearance is right at 7 feet or so, so the slimmer, the better!

2. I think it is going to be better (in the long run) to relocate the main phone line to a wall rather than up in the joists....opinions?

Old 10-22-07, 02:53 PM
A junction box can be mounted flush with the ceiling, and only a blank cover plate will show. If the cover plate is the same color as the ceiling, it will be practically invisible.

Or you can leave the junction box above the drywall and install an access panel below it. Access panels come in 8" by 8" size and all you have to do is cut a 8x8 square in the drywall and snap it in.

Old 10-23-07, 07:03 AM
If the phone line has no splices in it, I would leave it above the ceiling. There is no problem with that.