half a 220 circuit blown

Old 10-21-07, 11:23 AM
half a 220 circuit blown

hello my boyfriend was putting in a new dryer when he thinks he blew half the 220 circuit. his tester shows that one half of the outlet has 11v will the other has no power. he replaced the old fuses to the 220 and still has no power to the other side can anyone give me an idea of what to do because he has tried every thing he knows.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-07, 11:34 AM
In order to sort this out, we need to know exactly what was done. Exactly what did your boyfriend do? What was there before and what steps were taken. Is this a replacement dryer? A new dryer?

The readings you have are meaningless unless we know how they were taken. A reading of 11 volts (if you typed that correctly) means you did not measure properly. A reading of 110 volts (if you left off the 0) may mean a problem with half the circuit. But again, it depends on how things were measured.

Old 10-21-07, 11:38 AM
I acquired a dryer and it had a four wire cord on it. I replaced the cord with a new three wire cord and replaced the heating element. Now i only have 120 volts to one side of the outlet and have already replaced all the main and range fuses in the apt.

Old 10-21-07, 11:56 AM
nap
did the receptacle work prior to this?

Old 10-21-07, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by dodgemangf View Post
I acquired a dryer and it had a four wire cord on it. I replaced the cord with a new three wire cord
How did you do that? Did you tie the neutral to ground?
and replaced the heating element.
Why?
...have already replaced all the main and range fuses in the apt.
Range fuses should not have anything to do with the dryer. If you don't have anything else out why the main fuses? Do you have a multi-tester to check the fuses?

Note if it is an apartment you shouldn't leaglly do any work. Call the owner and get an electrician.

Old 10-21-07, 12:58 PM
The neutral is already internally grounded.Their was a dryer here before and it did work. I atteched the center wire to the center cantact and the other two to the contacts on either side of center. When I got the dryer the guy told me the heating element was not working so thats why i replaced that. I have now replaced every fuse in my fuse box and I still have no dryer.

Old 10-21-07, 01:14 PM
A voltage tester, or a "multi-meter" with a 220 volt AC range may be needed for valid testing.

I advise that you test for 220 volts at the "source", the fuse-panel. Testing for 120 volts between a fuse terminal and the Neutral may not locate the problem .

Also, test for voltage at the fuse-panel with the dryer dis-connected from line.

Old 10-21-07, 01:19 PM
with nothing marked in the fuse box where do i test?

Old 10-21-07, 01:30 PM
Look for a cable with Red , Black, & White conductors , the Red and Black conductors terminating on a fuse terminal ( screw ). There must be 220 volts across the B & R conductors.

If you test for 120 volts with the dryer connected , the dryer may "complete" a circuit for an in-valid 120 volt test.

Good Luck, & Learn & Enjoy from the Experience !!!!

Old 10-21-07, 02:02 PM
thank you guys found out we had another 220 fuse box and one of them was blown. thanks for the help.