Quick Question

Old 10-21-07, 01:12 PM
Quick Question

I am trying to install tall baseboard molding and one of my outlets is lower than the top of the baseboards I am trying to install. Is it possible to move the outlet lower so it is in the baseboard molding? If it is possible what needs to be done in order to install the outlet in the baseboard molding? Thanks for any information you can provide me.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-07, 01:42 PM
You need to determine the # of cables in the box--- MOST cables are "2-wire" , so if there are only 2 wires in the box, it's a single-cable outlet-box-- 4 wires = 2 cables.

What is the wall-finish? - lath & plaster , or sheet-rock , and is the box set in the wall-finish or in the existing baseboard ?

Old 10-21-07, 04:11 PM
You need to determine if the cables come from above or below. You will need enough slack to move the box.
Wires don't stretch.

Other than the cable length there is nothing to prevent this.

Old 10-21-07, 07:32 PM
Look inside the box. If the cable comes in the top (likely), move the box up above the baseboard. If the cable comes in the bottom (not likely), move the box down into the baseboard. If you are dead set on having the receptacle in the baseboard and the cable is coming in the top, it's going to be a lot more work. You'll need to replace the cable all the way back to the box it comes from, and if there are two cables, you'll need to replace both.