installing new 100 amp panel

Old 10-22-07, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing new 100 amp panel

I am installing a new 100 amp panel, the previous one didn't have enough circuits in it so I am upgrading it to hold 10 more.

My question is that there are 2 grounding bars, one on either side of the main switch strip. I believe the left side is for grounds and the right is for my neutrals. Can I put grounds and neutrals on the same side? My previous panel had the on that one strip ( it only had one strip for grounds/ neutrals). Will inspectors from upon this, or is there any reason for this except for neatness??.

Also what happens if the wiring that I am not replacing won't be able to reach the ground or neutral side because its too short.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-07, 03:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
If this is a main panel (not a subpanel), the neutral and ground bars should be interconnected and wires can go to either bar.

Wires may be extended with wirenuts and short lengths of appropriate size and color wire if they are too short in the new panel.

Old 10-22-07, 03:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Did you consider just adding a subpanel to add more circuit spaces? This would certainly save a lot of time.

Old 10-22-07, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
little more help

I have 2 panels already, my new 100 amp main service panel i am putting in now and i have a 60 amp panel just for my electric base board heaters.

I have a 200 amp service coming in from the street, 100 amps going to main house, 60 amps going to heater panel, and 30 amps going to off peak meter just for my hot water heater.

this is my main panel so you guys are saying it is ok to put whites and bares on one side or the other. also i should NOT put the white and bare ground in the same grounding hole correct??

thanks

jason

Old 10-23-07, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by KAL444 View Post
this is my main panel so you guys are saying it is ok to put whites and bares on one side or the other.
Neutrals and grounds may be on the same bars in a main panel.

also i should NOT put the white and bare ground in the same grounding hole correct??
Neutrals must be one-per-screw. Grounds of the same gauge may be doubled or tripled under a screw if the panel label has a marking which allows it.

Do you have all of your appointments set with the power company and electrical inspector to get disconnected, inspected and reconnected in a reasonable time frame?