Generator to House wiring

Old 10-23-07, 05:23 AM
Generator to House wiring

My friend is looking to hook up the generator from his RV to the household power as a supply during emergencies. We're having a problem though figuring out how to get 220V from the generator. We've tried various wiring combinations, with no luck, and decided to use a voltmeter to figure out what combinations we needed to use to get the 220. To our surprise we weren't able to generate a 220V reading on ANY of the wires... So I'm posing the question to you guys in case anyone has any experience. The connector coming from the generator has 5 pins. X, Y, Z, N, and a center Ground pin. We took all the various combinations, and came up with:

x -> y = 120
x -> z = 20
x -> n = 120
x -> g = 120
y -> z = 80
y -> n = 20
y -> g = 0
z -> n = 120
z -> g = 80
n -> g = 20

If it matters, it's an owan cummings generator that's on the RV that we're connecting to. Late 70's vintage, model # 6.5NH3CRL6000J. The real kicker is that it used to work before my friend re-did the patch panel it connects to, and of course didn't document where it all goes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-07, 05:41 AM
Put away the digital volt meter and use an analog meter. Those voltages of 20 and 80 are likely phantom voltage, and mean nothing except an open conductor.

If you don't have 240 volts then something is wired wrong or you have an open where you should not have.

You can always contact the manufacturer of the generator and ask them for a wiring chart.

Old 10-23-07, 06:07 AM
Try this forum. These folks know their generators. I am sure that someone there can help.
They even have a sub forum there dealing specifically with onan gen sets
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Ian

Old 10-23-07, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Put away the digital volt meter and use an analog meter. Those voltages of 20 and 80 are likely phantom voltage, and mean nothing except an open conductor.
It was an analog meter

If you don't have 240 volts then something is wired wrong or you have an open where you should not have.
I agree something seems amiss, but we were measuring at the actual socket connection of the generator. We have to assume this is wired correctly because when the generator is plugged into the RV, everything works as advertised.

Does anyone know why there would be five connections? I would assume only 4 (including ground) would be needed to reach a max of 220V.

Old 10-23-07, 06:15 AM
you have a 3ph plug

X, Y, Z are line connections, N is neutral, G goes to ground. Simply don't use the Z connection.