Spa Electrical Safety

Old 10-23-07, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spa Electrical Safety

I'm usually very good at following directions, but my actual knowledge of electrical theory isn't all that great. So I followed the diagram at the local home store for my hot tub and ended up with the following:

We pre-wired for an outdoor hot tub with a 60amp GFI sub panel using #6 THHN in conduit with a liquidtight whip at the tub.

We then bought a hot tub that only requires a 50amp circuit. In my mind, it seems that we should be fine with the higher rated circuit, but should I have any safety concerns with this setup?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-07, 11:58 AM
If the hot tub mandates a 50 amp breaker then you need a 50 amp breaker. Buy one and swap out the 60 amp one.

Old 10-23-07, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
If the hot tub mandates a 50 amp breaker then you need a 50 amp breaker. Buy one and swap out the 60 amp one.
Easy enough. Do I need to change both breakers or just the sub panel GFI? There is a regular 60amp breaker in the main panel and then the 60amp GFI in the sub panel.

Old 10-23-07, 12:40 PM
I advise you connect the 60 amp GFI in the "Main" panel , so the entire Branch-Circuit is GFI protected.

The "standard" 50 C-B will limit the current to that value . and the 60 amp GFI does not exceed the ampacity of the Branch-Circuit Conductors.

Is the sub-panel "in-doors" or "outdoors" ?

Old 10-23-07, 12:51 PM
The sub panel is outdoors as I believe code requires it to be greater than 5 feet from the tub but within eyesight, otherwise an additional disconnect would be required.

Old 10-23-07, 12:59 PM
Better the GFI is indoors , because of possible moisture and condensation at the outdoor enclosure .

With pool-wiring , it's best that all protective devices and controls, such as timers , switches , be located in-doors.

Old 10-23-07, 01:04 PM
OK...let me see if I got this right.

I move my 60amp GFI into the main panel and then put a standard 50amp CB in the sub panel outside?

Old 10-23-07, 01:23 PM
that is correct -------

Old 10-23-07, 01:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
That would be an acceptable solution. Take note that you will also have to reconfigure the neutral to run through the GFCI breaker at the main panel; and reconfigure the neutral at the spa panel to land on the neutral bus instead of the GFCI breaker.