breaker keeps triping

Old 10-24-07, 09:10 PM
Exclamation breaker keeps triping

My circut breaker keeps triping and i dont know why. Ive change the breaker, put no load on it replaced all recepticles and checked the wireing. It will sometimes stay on for like 8 hours then trip sometimes not even a second. The are several 3 ways on the circut and 1 4way is it possible to be any switches can be causeing the problem. I have no clue what else it could be. I know its grounded correctly. Any one can help me post it please have a party this weekend and i need it to work thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-07, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Fill us in on some more information. Is the wiring Romex type, or BX (metal encased flex lines)? Have you done any work on any of the switches, lights, receptacles that could have caused this? How old is the house/wiring? What brand is the breaker panel? What size breaker are you replacing? What is the normal load on this circuit (# and size of lights, and what is attached to the receptacles normally).

Old 10-25-07, 04:04 AM
What Chandler said. If you have made repairs or changes in that circuit, look in the area of the changes. If nothing has been done, look for loose connections as you have been, including light fixtures and switches. For switches, flip them on/off, wiggle the toggles, etc. What is plugged into that circuit?? Check for tight connections in the service panel, but be VERY careful in there, one slip and you are ashes. If nothing seems to work, consider squirrels or other critters in the walls.

Old 10-25-07, 08:30 AM
More questions...

Have you put any new nails or screws in the wall recently?

Is the breaker AFCI or GFCI (i.e., does the breaker have a test button on it)?

Does this circuit serve anything outside or that otherwise might get wet?

Old 10-25-07, 03:55 PM
Try turning off the breaker and then find everything in the house that doesn't work.
There may be some automatic load such as a sump pump, sprinkler pump or the like that may be causing your problem and that is why it is intermittent.
It could also be a splice somewhere that is not solidly connected and as it heats up a creates a high resistance connection, overloading the breaker.
Is the breaker more than warm to the touch?
Does it reset immediately?