Doing it myself

Old 10-27-07, 01:24 PM
Doing it myself

I have determined my apartment (old, uncertain electricals) is in need of some electrics updating. I have to do it myself, can't afford to hire it and the manager is a very old lady who is no help. Nothing in the box is labeled at all. Firstly, I will map my circuits to see which breakers are controlling which circuits in the apartment, so I can label them. This itself seems a major task! Then I will be trying to reduce loads on circuits to appropriate levels.
The assistance I am requesting here will just be to help make my tasks easier.
My breaker box has the following:
left side of panel-
20 amp breaker
15 amp breaker

blank breaker
20 amp, but the 2 are 'attached'

15 amp

50 amp
blank, again 'attached'

right side of panel:
20 amp breaker

15 amp

before I go buy the books, volt testers, pain pills for hair pulling, can any of you help me potentially identify what these might control? I have only 1 240 outlet (I think!) its the stove/oven. But I also have an installed on the wall electric heater in the bedroom (only heat source, btw) that I cannot tell the voltage of cos the wiring is encased in a pipe going up the wall and out thru inaccessible attic to box outside. no exterior markings on heater.

I am by necessity trying to learn many DIY things, elec is my most scary, probably cos its also my least understood.
any help is greatly appreciated.

oh, the mains box is separate, and contains both a 100 and 200 amp breaker. I have no idea which one or if both are powered.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-07, 01:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Other than labeling the panel you should NOT touch ANYTHING electrical in this apartment. 99.99% of the time it is highly illegal, and is not worth the liability on your shoulders.

The age of your landlord is totally irrelevant. There are certain responsibilities in owning a rental property. Up keep is the most important. If she can't handle hiring folks to maintain this place she should sell it, or get a caretaker to do it for her. She makes money on your rent, she should be able to pay for any maintenance involved. If not then she is a poor business person. Either that or she is a slumlord.

Please! DO NOT do any electrical work in an apartment that you rent!!

Old 10-27-07, 02:54 PM
Do not do anything your self except map the circuit. (You should have already mapped the circuits, but do it now if you didn't when you moved in.)

Doing any work yourself on a property you don't own is probably illegal. Even if it were legal, it is extremely unwise. You do not want the liability on your shoulders if something goes wrong. Even if it isn't something you caused, if they could pin it on you they just might.

Either convince the landlord to hire an electrician (perhaps with you paying some of the cost) or move somewhere esle or live with the situation.

Old 10-27-07, 09:16 PM
What do you mean by "updating" the electrics?? As already mentioned, doing and changes or repairs on a rented apartment is a very bad idea. If there are things not working correctly , the landlord is obligated to fix those. If you just want more circuits to cover your wifi system, too cappucino machine, or whatever, the landlord is NOT under any obligation to accomodate that. If the property is older, the existing service and wiring may or may not support any additions, even if the landlord was so inclined. You really should ask them to have an electrician check this out and propose a plan for what you need. Then you could negotiate who pays for what.

Old 10-28-07, 01:24 AM
Thanks, Sparky friends. You are correct, I wasn't planning to touch the electrics themselves, just map the circuits (I did only recently move in) and I don't want to flip breakers as I did last week. I did manage to get some of them marked today, I bought a sperry erm... circuit breaker finder? I think its called? But I am still doubting if I did it correctly, going to give it another go tomorrow just to be sure I get the same results. Then, plan to talk to my elec company.

Old 10-28-07, 06:48 AM
To map the circuits enlist someone to help you. It's not required, but it speeds up the process.

Using a hand held radio or small plug in light like a night light helps.

With the breakers all on, make sure that every receptacle, light and appliance works. Then turn off each breaker, one at a time. Then walk around and see what no longer works.