Extension cord smoking

Reply

  #1  
Old 10-29-07, 12:29 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 153
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extension cord smoking

I recently bought a new, long, thick extension cord for working my leaf blower.

I made sure to get one thick enough that I wouldn't lose amperage.

Ive only used it 4-5 times, and last time I was using it, the cord started to smoke.

I checked and the leaf blower plug was charred on one side, and the cord receptacle was blackened on that side too.

I tried a different cord after cleaning the plug from the blower and it worked fine.

So whats wrong with the outlet of the extension cord, and how do I clean/fix it?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-29-07, 12:45 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The receptacle needs to be replaced.

The extension cord needs to be repaired or replaced.

Too much current was pulled through the extension cord and it overheated and started burning.

Perhaps the connections at the plug was damaged by being bent. perhaps it was defective from the beginning.

Perhaps (despite your assertion otherwise) the extension cord is undersized for the job. Remember, the longer the extension cord the larger size wire that is needed in it.
 
  #3  
Old 10-29-07, 12:50 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 153
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dang, I was afraid of that.

I bought the blower and cord together and an associate helped me at the store. I checked everything and it appeared to be correct. I will try and get a new one and check again.


Thanks!
 
  #4  
Old 10-29-07, 01:23 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long is the extension cord? What gage wire is it?
 
  #5  
Old 10-29-07, 02:02 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,461
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
One possibility is that the connection between the extension cord and the leaf blower power cord may have gotten wet.

The key is the wire gauge of the cord not the thickness. My guess is that rubber is a lot cheaper than copper these days. Thick insulation, skinny conductors.

Check your owners manual to find out the current load. Size your extension cord to match or exceed that load.
 
  #6  
Old 10-29-07, 02:49 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I read your post wrong. I though you were talking about the extension cord and the receptacle in the wall. Your situation is worse.

The extension cord is still in need of repair or replacement. however, so id the leaf blower. Do not use it until you can repair or replace the cord and plug, and verify that the blower itself including the motor is not damaged.
 
  #7  
Old 10-30-07, 12:36 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 153
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The cord is a 100ft, 14 guage extension cord. Rated for 13 AMPs

The blower has a 12 AMP motor. That should work, right?
 
  #8  
Old 10-30-07, 01:56 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Palm Bay
Posts: 16
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The cord size sounds like it should be sufficient. Your cord could have had a defective receptacle. That is, the contacts in the receptacle were not making adequite contact with the prongs of the plug. Loose connections, such as this, can cause severe heating at the contact. Take the cord back as defective and get another one. BTW is this a name brand cord, or one of those cheapo Chinese knockoffs? Make sure that your replacement is a quality, heavy duty namebrand cord.
 

Last edited by IanR; 10-30-07 at 01:58 PM. Reason: cuz I think faster than I type
  #9  
Old 10-30-07, 02:16 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would never use a 13-amp cord on a 12-amp appliance (even though it seems sufficient from the specification). Go up to at least a 12-gauge cord, and get one as short as you need. Longer is not better.

Also, check how securely the plug fits into the receptacle (where the burning occurred). It should be a nice secure fit.

Finally, don't use your leaf blower for long periods of time without a break.

Better yet, use a broom. There's too much noise in the world anyway.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: