Running Romex/Conduit on surface of drywall wall

Old 10-29-07, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running Romex/Conduit on surface of drywall wall

Hi all,
I'm wanting to add an outlet inside my mothers condo and can do so by pulling power from an outlet in the finished garage. What I would like to do is to take the exisiting romex,run it thru metal (or PVC?) conduit along the drywall wall in the garage. I would drill thru that garage wall into the exact spot on the inside wall where I want to locate the new outlet.

My basic question is this: In Wisonsin, can I run an 8 foot section of romex thru conduit before going back into a wall? This is the most direct and least invasive way for me to establish the new outlet. What I don't want to do is to do something which is not safe or to code and have someone have to re-do it upon sale of the condo. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Vance

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-07, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, make sure that this circuit can safely and legally be extended. What else is on the circuit?

Second, I advise you to do this properly. It will be cheaper and easier for you to route NM-B cable inside the wall than it will be to use conduit on the surface of the wall.

To run along the surface, you would need to install an extension box in the garage, and then run metal conduit along the wall. Then go through the wall into a newly installed box.

Do it right.