Need Help on Installing Dimmer

Old 10-29-07, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help on Installing Dimmer

Leviton - Mural dimmer, to be installed (replacing) on a single pole switch.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGetAttachment.jsp?cItemId=63207&label=IBE&appName=IBE[/url]

When i look at wiring diagram 1 - single control application; i am confused? yellow is caped ~ok/ black(hot) to black on switch~ok/ green ground~ok// but - blue - says blue to black-load (or primary side of magnetic low voltage transformer) then on to white neutral-

i am confused about the blue wire connecting to the white neutral wire, do i just connect these two wires together or is there something else that is supposed to go inbetween them?

thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-07, 10:44 PM
The blue wire doesn't really connect to the white neutral wire. The circle there labeled "Load" is your light. So in terms of that wiring diagram that white wire is up in the ceiling, not in your light switch box.

How many wires were in the box, and how were they wired when you took out the old switch?

Old 10-30-07, 01:02 AM
response - more info.

Switch replacement 1 -
There are 3 sets of wires going into the box.
all 3 white wires are caped together, and do not connect/touch with the existing swich.
For the black wires, 1 goes to the bottom of the existing switch and two go to the top of the existing switch.

Switch replacement 2 -
There are 2 sets of wires going into the box
both white wires are caped togethor and do not connect/touch with the existing switch
For the back wires, one goes to the top of the swich and one goes to the bottom of the swtich.

These (independant) swiches are in two different parts of the house/ and both are a single swich controling a set of overhead lights.

Old 10-30-07, 02:42 AM
Ok, in both cases you do not touch the white wires at all. Using switch number 2 as the example, one of the black wires goes to the black wire on the dimmer. The other black wire goes to the blue wire on the dimmer. Determining which is which just takes a moment:

Do you have a neon tester or a multimeter and know how to use it? You need to determine which of your two black wires is always hot and which is hot only when the switch is on. The one that is always hot gets connected to the black wire on the dimmer. And the other one of course to the blue. Let me know if you need further instructions on testing which is hot; I'm sure there's tons of in-depth explanations on the board for and can dig one up if need be.

For switch #1 it's basically the same process but keep that set of two wires together and treat them as one.

-core

Old 11-02-07, 12:23 PM
thanks

Hey thanks for the help. both switches work perfect - couldnt have figured it out without your help!

Old 11-02-07, 04:26 PM
Thanks for coming back to let us know how it went. Glad everything worked out!

-core