Turning a light switch into an outlet too

Old 10-30-07, 01:10 PM
Turning a light switch into an outlet too

Current Setup:
Standard switch. Black, white, bare wire. The blacks are on the switch, whites are twisted in a wire nut. Bare on the green screw.

To turn this into an outlet too. Would i just get like a 4 inch piece of black wire and connect it to the hot side of the switch and then get a 4 inch piece of white wire and connect one end to the outlet and stick the other end into the wirenut?

Then just upgrade the blue box in the wall into a double. WIll this work?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-07, 01:20 PM
Yep, pretty much. I would suggest using another wire nut to connect three black wires together: (1) the supply black wire, (2) the short black wire going to the switch, and (3) the short black wire going to the receptacle's brass-colored screw. You'll also need another grounding wire to ground the receptacle.

If you don't need the duplex receptacle (i.e., you only need one place to plug in something), you could buy a combo switch/receptacle and avoid changing the box, and also avoid having the two black pigtails and the extra grounding pigtail.

Make sure you correctly identify the two black wires, i.e., you know which one is the unswitched power and which one is the switched power. Any simple tester will tell you this.

Old 10-30-07, 01:47 PM
What John didn't get into is whether this new receptacle will comply with the electrical code.

Tell us where in your house this switch is located, and what else is on the circuit.

Old 10-30-07, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
What John didn't get into is whether this new receptacle will comply with the electrical code.

Tell us where in your house this switch is located, and what else is on the circuit.
Closet off a bedroom. The whole circuit only has a bedroom light and a few other outlets on it. The outlets arnt loaded down. Usually only 2-3 are running on the whole circuit(Tv, plug in light, cell phone charger, etc.). s this acceptable?

John, what is the official name of the combo thing? I do only need 1 plug in and it sounds A LOT easier to install.

Thanks for help!

Old 10-30-07, 02:09 PM
What sort of closet? A receptacle may not be allowed here...

Old 10-30-07, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
What sort of closet? A receptacle may not be allowed here...

Giant bedroom walk in closet

Old 10-30-07, 02:48 PM
racraft, what sort of closets are off-limits? I was planning on installing one myself one of these days.

The only thing I can find is that overcurrent devices are not allowed in clothes closets.

Old 10-30-07, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Mischman View Post
John, what is the official name of the combo thing? I do only need 1 plug in and it sounds A LOT easier to install.
Thanks for help!

It's called a combo switch. Here is the leviton version.
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...minisite=10025

Old 10-30-07, 10:53 PM
bump for replys

Old 10-31-07, 08:39 PM
Mischman, what more do you need? I think we pretty much covered it. Your project is fine.

By the way, I know of no closets of any kind where a receptacle is prohibited.

There are a lot of other reasons why this project might have been disallowed, but we have no evidence that any of those reasons apply to you.