New microwave not heating

Old 11-01-07, 07:39 PM
New microwave not heating

I recently purchased a 1972 house and renovated the kitchen. A couple of months ago the electrician installed an dedicated outlet for my microwave. The microwave was finally installed and I just tried to heat food with no luck. Everything else on the microwave works fine. I checked the manual and it said it should be on a dedicated 20 amp breaker. I checked the breaker and its only a 15 amp. My question is a 15 amp breaker for a microwave common or should I pay him to come change it to a 20 amp because its not common? THANKS in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-07, 08:11 PM
Your microwave not heating food doesn't have anything to do with it being on a 15A circuit. So I'd start looking at what's wrong with the oven itself. This microwave is brand new?

And as far as I know as long as you have two 20A small appliance circuits in your kitchen as well, you're fine. Someone will no doubt correct me very shortly if I'm wrong.

Old 11-01-07, 08:21 PM
Yes, its brand new. My reason behind my theory was when my dryer wasn't heating (but otherwise working) it wasn't getting 220, only 110, so I was just assuming that it was because it was only on a 15 amp breaker and not a 20

Old 11-01-07, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by judybluii View Post
My reason behind my theory was when my dryer wasn't heating (but otherwise working) it wasn't getting 220, only 110, so I was just assuming that it was because it was only on a 15 amp breaker and not a 20
Ah, fair enough... that's not too much of a stretch. What would happen here though [hypothetically] is the appliance would happily gobble up 20A _anyway_, causing the circuit breaker to trip.

Hate to ask, but since this is a brand new one are you sure you are setting it properly? These things seem to be getting more complicated with each incarnation. An oven set to the lowest power level would certainly appear to not heat at all. But then you'd likely hear the magnetron cycling on and off over the course of a minute.

Old 11-01-07, 08:44 PM
The microwave is broken. If it's under warranty, it's time to use it.

Old 11-01-07, 08:56 PM
I just did some experimenting. I double checked the manual to make sure I was operating correctly. I turned the breaker on and off and unplugged the microwave and plugged it back in. It didn't heat a cup of water in two minutes and I also operated the fan during the last minute and it didn't trip the breaker. It didn't trip the breaker, so I guess your first instinct was correct - its the microwave

Old 11-02-07, 05:20 AM
The breaker has nothing to do with the microwave not heating. All an undersized breaker would do is trip. Replace/repair the microwave.

As for the microwave requiring a 20 amp circuit, well that's a different issue. If the manual states that a 20 amp circuit is required (not a 15 amp circuit) then you do need a 20 amp circuit. The electrician who installed the circuit saved a few dollars. You should have specified a 20 amp circuit when it was installed.