Electrical Outlet Reset Button

Old 11-01-07, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical Outlet Reset Button

I have an outlet where the reset button keeps popping out a few minutes after our refrigerator is plugged into it. I checked the circuit breaker but it isn't tripped. The outlet will be fine for a few minutes, but then the reset button trips within minutes of the refrigerator being plugged in. If anyone has any advice on how I can fix this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-07, 08:18 PM
Received 86 Votes on 79 Posts
It is never a good idea to plug a refrigerator in a GFCI receptacle. The motor can trip them for no reason. Or the refrigerator could be bad.

Old 11-01-07, 08:37 PM
What joed said. But when did this start happening? Is this a new house, or did you just recently move the refrigerator or something?

You could try plugging in a motor such as a vacuum cleaner into that receptacle. If it trips the GFCI is definitely at fault. If this receptacle is behind your refrigerator where it cannot be accessed then you don't need a GFCI there anyway. Otherwise you could try replacing the GFCI; newer ones are not as prone to nuisance trips.

But if you have changed nothing and it just recently started doing this, your refrigerator might be going bad and the GFCI is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

Old 11-02-07, 01:33 AM
but some case i heard i dont know if that true but i know it did happend to me once the defrost heating element went bad on me and tripped the GFCI on me so that one of few thing with self defrosting fridges can get tricky.

Merci, Marc