Splicing for two sconces

Old 11-02-07, 06:47 PM
Splicing for two sconces

As part of a bathroom renovation, I'm changing the lighting above the vanity and mirror. Right now there is a single run into a light fixture centered over the mirror. The desired is to have two sconces, one on each side of the mirror. What's the right way to take that single run and split it to accommodate the two individual lights? I've got a spare junction box that I'm sure I'll need to use.

Thanks,
Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-07, 07:37 PM
What you have on hand is not important. Don;t plan your products based on what you have on hand. Plan your projects based on what you need to do the job properly.

I am not sure there is one "right way". There are many ways to do this, some to code and safe, others against code and unsafe.

The most appropriate way to do this is to re-route the existing cable to one of the new lights, and then run a new cable from that light to the other new light. This way all splices will be inside the junction box of either light.

You could, if you want, install a junction box where the cable now terminates. From here you could run a short piece of new cable to each new light. The problem here is that this center junction box must remain accessible. This means you would cover it with a blank cover. Some people don't like a blank cover.

I vote for the first option. However, to do this the cable needs to be long enough to reach one of the lights, so this option may not be an option. But there are other ways to do this. You can replace the cable from the switch, routing it where you need it. If there is unfinished attic or crawl space above the bathroom and the cable is routed through this space then you could install a junction box in the attic, and then run a cable from this junction box to each light.

Of course, these options may need to be modified if the wiring to the switch is a switch loop, as then you have two wires into the existing light to deal with.