Question - adding a non-fusible switch

Old 11-03-07, 09:28 AM
Question - adding a non-fusible switch

Hello -

I have an existing pottery kiln which i want to convert from a receptacle/plugin connection to a hardwire connection.

BACKGROUND INFO:

Currently, the line is wired to a 30 amp, 240 volt breaker in the main panel - using 10/2 copper wire. This runs to a dryer receptacle. A 3-wire dryer plug is connected to the kiln. The kiln operates fine with this arrangement.

I have a Square D QO200TR non-fusible 240 volt, 60 amp switch - the kind used for air conditioning cut offs.

I want to mount the QO200TR near the studio entrance and run a direct connection to the kiln.

QUESTION:

As I look at the QO200TR, I see connectors for Line, Load and Equipment Grounding. Since the existing cable is 10/2, both the black and white wires are hot. Do I connect both the incoming black and white to the Load terminal and the bare copper to the Line terminal? If so, what would be the correct connection sequence for the outgoing wires.

I appreciate any assistance you may be able to offer. Since this is 240v, I don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks!
-------------------------------------------------
Wayne

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-07, 09:33 AM
All the bare copper and green wires go to the grounding connection.
Your power wires(black and white) go to the two LINE connections.
Your kiln power wires go to the LOAD connection.

Old 11-03-07, 02:30 PM
Thanks, joed. I appreciate the help.

Old 11-03-07, 06:05 PM
I don't see anything in your post which creates a reason to eliminate the receptacle. Why not just continue to use a receptacle?